Plausibility of the Touch Production Problems leading to no camera

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, Sep 9, 2009.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Okay so obviously many of us are disappointed that there isn't a camera on the touch. Now, I know many people will say that it was always a rumor, and that therefore nothing is official until there is an announcement. But there is too much that is weird here, and some evidence that a production issue is plausible. Here are some points I want to hit.

Should there have been a camera? The rumors suggest it
    I know that rumors are rumors, but I have been following the rumor mill for years now and never have I seen anything have such unanimous support as a camera. There were dozens of stories about it on the major, respected rumor sites. Many analysts considered it a forgone conclusion. Tons of case makers made cases with a camera hole. And we even had a VIDEO of what looked like a Touch with a camera.

The Nano camera rumor was right
    We got detailed rumors on cameras for the Touch and Nano, and the Nano rumors were dead on whereas the Touch was a bust. Most rumors are small and never happen, but rumors as big as this almost always happen, and a camera on the Touch and Nano seemed like guarantees. One could even argue a Touch camera seemed more likely than a Nano one. Yet, were supposed to believe that the Nano rumor was dead on, but the iPod one was wrong? I don't buy it.

Production Problems. Is this true?
    I think this story is true. It seems odd for a reputable news outlet for Apple stories to say that there are production problems for adding a camera to the Touch, when a camera was never officially announced as a feature. This, in my opinion, is strong evidence that there really were production issues. That's on the edge of rumor and a news story. Here are some other things leading me to believe there were issues:

1) Apple hasn't listed this iPod as a new generation. Last year when the 2G came out, it was "the next-generation iPod." Apple is not saying that this time around.

2) There are almost NO new features to speak of on the "new" Touch. In terms of hardware, you have updated processing, which allows for voice control. And 64Gb. That's it. It is very un-Apple-like to have such a small and almost non-existent upgrade. Makes me think that the camera was supposed to be the big update.

3) The Nano got a camera.

4) There is no 16GB model. That makes no sense.

5) It has the exact same form factor.

Production Problems. Is it possible?
    So now we have the real question. Is it possible that late production issues caused the Touch camera to be scrapped at the last second. I see some people saying that a camera was never meant for the Touch, because it seems odd for Apple to have a "3rd Generation" Touch ready to ship a couple days from now. But I think there were issues. And here's how I justify it.

Look at the iPod Touch that was released today. It has two, count em, TWO new hardware upgrades. It has updated processing speed, and a 64GB model. The form factor and everything else is the same. If there were production issues with a Touch camera, I don't think it would take long or be very hard for Apple to scrape together what they did today. They would continue production of iPod Touches just as they have for the last year, just they would insert larger memory chips, and faster processors into the iPods. From a production standpoint, it would be very easy to do. So IF there was an issue with camera on the Touch, I think it would be very easy for Apple to shell out the update it did today almost on a whim.

They wouldn't need to change all their production. There are selling essentially the same iPod again, just with slightly different chips inside.

So then, are we going to get a Touch with a camera?
    I think so. And I don't think we're going to have to wait until next September. Though we might have to wait about 6 months. But I firmly believe that a camera was meant for this Touch, and that there was an issue preventing it at the last second.

2. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

For the love of technology I hope you're right.

I don't have an mp3 player right now(I was waiting for the touch w/ cam)

Im afraid that if i buy now, less than a year later apple will release it with a camera.

Thats like when you're running late for something and you're waiting for the bus. its been 5 minutes and you're wonder whether you should walk(because its a 15 minute walk) you decide the bus isn't going to be ontime and as soon as you are sufficiently away from the stop, the bus drives on by.

bad anology but you get the idea.

3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

4. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha thanks! :D

5. MVApple macrumors 6502a

The lack of a 16gb iPod Touch makes ZERO sense. You either pick the old 2G 8gb iPod touch or jump straight to the new 32gb.

I bet these production problems are quiet real and Apple simply replaced the backs on the iPod Touches. There's no way Apple was going to let thousands of iPods go to waste.

Give it about two months for the current stock to be sold and we should see a 16gb for $200 and the introduction of cameras.

I sold my 1G so I'm gonna miss those applications, but I'll make due until then.

I'm waiting for the first person to open up one of the new 32gb or 64gb models. If they did have production problems, the ipods should have tell-tale signs of "something" missing there. I think that may be our best hint to see if these production problems are real.

6. pakkman781 macrumors newbie

Good assessment.

I'm glad I held on to my current touch (and my PS3, which was my initial plan to fund the new touch :p). I don't know if I will be able to resist the new nano though. Having a video camera I can toss in my bag that weighs nothing, is very tempting.

7. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll put it here too:

I think the camera must have been scrapped at the last minute due to some technical issue. I don’t think they would have intentionally leaked specs to case makers that showed a camera if they had no intention of putting one in. Not that they are above leaking false information, but why get people excited about a feature that you aren’t adding just to let them down? Also, why add a camera to a lower model (nano) but not your “high end” model? I think there must be some truth to the rumors about the camera problem.

I’m pretty disappointed since I’m one of the ones that just sold my 2G. This doesn’t feel like an update at all… definitely not worth calling 3rd generation. iPod Touch 2.5G I guess. I would be surprised if they added a big feature like a camera in mid year... I think we are waiting until next Sept. The Zune doesn't have one, so they don't feel pressure to keep pace.

8. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only thing I have to say is that Apple is not the kind of company that keeps pace, Microsoft is. Apple is the innovator that gets things out first, and everyone else plays catch up. They stay ahead of the game. I don't think they have any interest in keeping pace.

9. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Today's iPod Touch "update" would beg to differ with you. I had every intention of getting a 3G in anticipation of some new features. Now I'm giving the ZuneHD a second look...

10. MomoRacer macrumors member

Another thought we could consider is that the camera will only be on the 32 and 64 gig touches, if in fact there was a production problem. On the iPod Touch specs page, it has one section for the 8 gig and another section for the 32 and 64 gig models.

11. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I agree 100% with the OP.

Only 2 hardware upgrades, and Apple calls it a new touch? I doubt it.

EDIT: Just wanted to add; Apple didn't even bump up the battery. I think because of the production delays on the cameras, Apple just said "F**k it, put the 3GS guts in there" and called it a day.

12. jreuschl macrumors 6502

It makes no sense to me either that Apple didn't keep the 16GB at a $249 price point, even if it had old hardware. I mean, the Nano only has a $30 price difference between 8GB and 16GB.

As far as Apple never does a small upgrade, was there THAT much of a difference between the 1G and 2G.

Also, does anyone know if this release does include a mic?

13. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I don't see what would have been the huge issue that would have resulted in them completely removing a camera from the iPod touch, instead of just delaying it. If they can put it in the iPhone and the nano, they obviously know how to do it.

I doubt production problems resulted in them removing the camera. It was probably never intended to get one.

14. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll give you that. You can add that to the list of reasons that I believe there were production issues.

Exactly. Perfect summary of what I think lol.

At least it had a few new features. This can hardly be considered an update. And two small updates in a row leads me to believe this was meant to be a bigger update then it ended up being.

And it has a mic on the headphones.

15. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Good god... Steve leaves for a few months. we get a botched ipod touch. WTF will happen when Steve retires or god forbid dies. Will our macbooks start to eat us due to a "production problem"?

16. cjhunter macrumors newbie

but what was scrapped?

The original post is plausible, but what was scrapped and why? The iPhone already has a camera, so what was so hard about plopping one into the Touch?

If the rumors were true, it seems to me that either the technical hurdles were something very weird (did a camera manufacturer just go belly-up, or did a plant break down somewhere?), or else the feature(s) being added were unconventional. Maybe I'm on the wrong track, but I'm thinking that it wasn't just a run-of-the-mill camera that was being added here. I think the camera was something special (high MP? exceptional lens?), and they ran into problems related to that.

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Putting a camera on the touch will greatly cut into iPhone sales. If it was a production problem, they would have announced today and said they would not be out for xxx days. The iPod touch is not getting a camera.

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

So you're actually saying people would say, "I want an iPhone. Oh, but the Touch has a video camera! Scrap the phone, the GPS, and the 3G connection! I only need that video camera!?!" :rolleyes:

Sorry, but no way. See my sig.

19. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

It would, in fact, boost iPod touch sales through the roof. Think about it.

And it would, obviously, open the touch to a whole new part of the App Store.

Meaning, more money in Apple's pocket. I don't know why Apple never thought about it this way.

20. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Maybe Apple is trying to get the last of the Touch sales without the Cameras, and grabbing the last market available (People without Touches), before adding a camera next year, to make everyone who's on the 1/2/3 Gen have this idea of needing the Camera/Mic? Perceived Obsolescence :/

21. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

So you're suggesting Apple is withholding features to give people a reason to upgrade later on?

22. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I don't agree with DrawnToLife 100%, but Apple's making it look like it this year.

23. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Well, that's kind of what I think.
    But that's just me. I'm kind of worried in buying on in case new ones come out, but maybe Apple wants to give everyone a reason to buy a new one next year. But that's only what I think, and I'm kinda gonna see how things go till this weekend before making making my purchase of the G3. I mean,
    Apple might be withholding some of the features, to perfect them on the Touch and top the competition next year. (Once again, just my input though :/)