Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Converted2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I have spent the last half hour or so trying to see what I can do to play all of the videos I have added in iDVD 08 continuously without having to select each one from the menu once the previous video finishes. What I have found is that I have to import all of my videos in iMovie and add chapter markers and then export it to iDVD. Is this the only way to do it? A lot of what turned up in my search was for previous versions of iDVD so I'm not sure if the 08 version has an option that I just can't seem to find. It seems kind of strange for Apple not to have an option to play all videos in a program to make DVD's. I have a lot of videos that I am putting on this DVD and it will take forever to import them all into iMovie. If I can't do it in iDVD is there other software which will let me create a play all button? Any help would be great! Thank you!

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
You can make a disk that plays all the selections continuously using the DVD-VIDEO selection within Toast. Playing all videos OR each individually is a user selectable option when compiling a project, as is the ability to autoplay upon disk insert.

I have never seen that capability in the current iDVD (or any previous versions) but might be a possibility in the new version in iLife 09 when it is released.

Converted2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I assume that when you say Toast you mean Roxio's program. I will look into that, however I think I may wait to see if iLife 09 adds this feature. It just seems like a pretty standard feature to include which is why it baffles me why they haven't yet.

As for this project I'm working on now, I'm almost done putting everything into iMovie HD (which I downloaded after realizing they took the chapter markers out of the 08 version). Since I'm almost done with this, I guess it doesn't make sense to worry about getting Toast now.

Once it's all in iMovie and I save it I should just be able to just add it to iDVD as a file, right? I'm hoping that it'll be as one file, but when being played on a DVD player I can skip like I would on a store bought DVD. I guess I'll figure that out as I go.

Thanks for the help! :)

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Yes, you should be able to add it as one giant .mov file- and if you have inserted chapter markers in iMovie HD it should play straight through or jump to the markers as desired. BTW- There is a workaround in the iMovie included in iLife 08 to do chapter markers that involves exporting your movie to Garageband (go figure) but I have never bothered- I just used iMovie HD as I did before the 08 version came out!

Something to keep in mind after "Sharing" it to iDVD- if your project winds up being a max of 2 hours you can burn it to standard single layer DVDs, but if between 2 hours and 4 hours you are going to need to do double layer disks in most cases.

And yes- I did mean Roxio's multi-talented Toast application (which just came out with a totally new version this week (10) also.

Good luck with your project!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.