Play an MP3 from the stack without actually opening the file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Nov 17, 2010.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

When I'm in finder or on my desktop I'm able to hover above an MP3 and it brings up the option to play it without opening itunes or anything.

However when I'm in the documents folder in the stack at the bottom next to the dock and I hover above an MP3 it doesn't give me that option. You have to actually click it to open it in itunes or another program to listen.

Is there a setting for this? Is it possible to have it just play there the same way as if it was on the desktop or in a finder folder?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could open the stack in Finder first, then quicklook the mp3, using the space bar.
    You could change the "Open with" file association for mp3s to an app other than iTunes.
    You can't use the spacebar or right-click on stack items.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could OPTION click the file to open the parenting folder and play the file there via QuickLook (Spacebar) or that play icon in ICON VIEW.

4. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Both of those ways just open it in Finder which I already know how to do. I'm trying to see if there is a way to have it play the same way it does in Finder directly from inside the document folder in the stack without having to enter Finder or actually click it to open with itunes or any other program.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Not right now, as the Stacks of the Document folder (or any other folder) is just an alias, not the actual folder.

Thus you are left with the options GGJstudios and me suggested.

Btw, you can give Apple feedback about this: www.apple.com/feedback

6. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok that would certainly be helpful for them to implement.