Play.com confirms unlocked 3G iphone for any network UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RA19, Mar 26, 2009.

1. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Not really "all explained" is it?

I do wonder where they've come from though. They must have some pre-lock iPhones from somewhere, rather than unlocked.

Interesting.

2. RA19 thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't the French government pass a law saying it was illegal for one vendor to have exclusivity of the iphone in their market? Maybe it's stock they bought in France? Play.com are located in Jersey, Channel Islands (in between UK and France for those of you overseas who don't know the geography).

Be interesting to see if O2 defend their turf!

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Cheaper to buy an O2 PAYG phone though, so I am surprised people have opted for this route.

4. CalumC macrumors regular

If you take the 8gb as an example, to eventually pay the same over a 24 month period as the o2 24 month contract at £35, you'd have to have an £11 contract/£11 pay as you go. Do they really expect people to take this up?

5. riggers macrumors newbie

what if you do not want to be on o2 or wait around for software unlocks?
    They are expensive though, would probably make more sense to take a weekend trip to another eu country buy yourself one :)

6. vivid. macrumors newbie

If you buy the phone out right in the UK it is illegal for them to keep it locked to O2.

If you buy the pay as you go, you can then pay i think £15 for it to be unlocked to any network. Just go into any o2 store and ask for it. Have a friend who has done just this!

7. riggers macrumors newbie

I didn't know o2 were able to do that, knew optus could in aus, good to know :)

8. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I want to actually know how they unlock them.

9. riggers macrumors newbie

For my aus one Optus sent the IMEI to Apple, then about 10 days later I receive a txt from Apple saying my phone will be unlocked once I do a full restore and activatation via iTunes.

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Excellent. I understand now.

In the same way 3.0 is activated in iTunes - if you reinstall using iTunes then connect, the phone will poll for identity and how it should be locked. Very clever.

11. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

That's what I did. £390 for the phone (16GB), no monthly bills/payments, no contract, didn't have to sign anything, could activate it at home with no fees... All with 12 months free unlimited data :cool:

And I can live with O2. Screw Play.coms prices!

12. anansi macrumors newbie

so has anybody here bought iPhone from Play.com yet? :confused: care to share the details? thanks!

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No it isn't. Got changed about four years ago. Ofcom said it was a "matter for consumer choice."

It's arguably illegal under EU law, but someone would have to take it to the European Court in order to get UK law on the matter changed.

Phazer

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

can anyone else confirm this?

15. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I emailed O2:

"We can unlock any other mobile phones for £15 if you've purchased the phones from us an used it on our network for 12 months. However, I'm afraid we wont be able to unlock the iPhone 3G purchased from us. You can only use it on our network"

So it looks like that is not true.

16. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Just as I suspected.

I'd have gone and bought one for my girlfriend if it was the case.