Play.com UK iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atkinsn2000, Jul 18, 2009.

1. atkinsn2000 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Anyone noticed that Play.com in the UK is selling the iPhone 3G and 3G S

They are all Sim free and Unlocked.

3G available in black or white(16GB only)
    8GB for £529.99
    16GB for £589.99(B) / £569.99(W)

3G S available in black or white(32GB only)
    16GB for £799.99
    32GB for £899.99

Link from play.com posted below,

[​IMG]

All are availble in stock and available for dispatch within 24 except for 16GB 3G S which has 4-5 day wait, if this is all true this is the only place an iPhone can be purchased unlocked in the UK.

This is how ever strange as the official sellers of the iPhone in the UK are Carphone Warehouse, O2 and Apple.

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

They've been doing this for at least 6 months. I think they get stock from France.

3. atkinsn2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

If they are getting stock from France i am suprised Apple havn't put a stop to it since they aren't authorised supplier for the iPhone in the UK.

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Play are based in the Channel Islands. They do things a little differently over there. ;)

5. matttye macrumors 601

Fortunately for me O2 is the best network where I live / travel so I won't have to pay the extra! Play.com are great though, I go there for just about everything.

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Why? We have laws within the European Union that gives us the right to parallel import.

7. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

wow.... I would never pay up to £899.99:eek: for a mobile phone!.

I dont think ive ever paid for a phone in the last ten years.

8. macgoodnight macrumors newbie

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You have certainly paid for your mobile phones, you just haven't paid anything up front. ;)

Over the 18 month contract, it actually works out £9 cheaper to sign up for the 32GB 3GS on the £35 contract. Of course you are restricted to the O2 network with this option.

10. wowipod macrumors regular

Wow £899.99. It's only $1049AU here. £899.99 is about $1834.81. That is such a rip off and I thought it was expensive here.

I could get you guys one cheaper over here. They sell them at the apple store, unlocked.

11. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Wow do you honestly think you don't pay for your phone? Amazing... how nice of those phone carriers to give them to you for "free"...

12. matttye macrumors 601

I think the point is that even though you're paying a monthly bill, that includes your talk time. When you pay for a PAYG phone you still have to buy your own credit after you've paid for the phone.

No commitment ftw though ;)

13. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Which is why a PAYG phone is cheaper than the total contract commitment of getting a Pay Monthly mobile.

14. matttye macrumors 601

That's true for me, as £15 a month gives me unlimited web + wifi and unlimited texts + calls to other o2 users.. but it might not be true for everyone. Depends how much credit each person needs..

15. allymac macrumors member

I can't believe how much play.com want for the iPhone. Total rip off. And I can't believe people will pay it. Ridiculous.

16. matttye macrumors 601

It's more than £300 dearer than the locked version :eek:

17. allymac macrumors member

:eek: Good grief, I know it's a good phone but that's just ridiculous. I want an unlocked one because I live in a crap signal area, but I'm just not prepared to pay it. For that money I could stick my own booster mast on the roof instead :D

18. wowipod macrumors regular

Someone here in Aus could send you an unlocked 32GB for £600 including shipping. Apple sell them unlocked here.

19. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Same here. People who've got their phones on contract laugh when I tell them how much I paid for my PAYG. They stop laughing when I help them do the sums.:p

20. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Play.com has been offering the iPhone 3GS in the UK for a while now. However, they are not the only resellers. Expansys UK offers it for £919, Handtec for £713 (pre-order, however some customers have received their orders Link, Phonedevil £849).

I agree they are expensive prices, but then if O2 is not the right choice for you (for whatever reason) then your only choice is either the pain of waiting for the unlock software every few months or (if you have the cash) to buy them at this price.

I just hope that the news about other carriers breaking the apple-O2 monopoly is true so that prices can go down.

21. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Ok maybe i should have rephrased my point...but you still get what im saying right?

The way I see it is, you pay 899.99 up front for an unlocked handset only iphone...but you STILL have to buy minutes...so in theory you STILL pay more.

So yeah, the phone fees I pay may well be hidden and spreaded throughout the 12/18 month contract...but at the very least my internet and some of my text and call minutes are inclusive (depending on contract type).

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I like that somewhere is selling SIM Free iPhone's to the UK, but the prices make me sad :(

I wouldn't go there. O2 just aren't that bad.