Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beckyp234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Hey.
I got my iPod touch a month ago, and I've had to restore it once. Now the play counts are acting really wierdly. I've noticed since I got it that some of the songs' counts were too high, but put it down to maybe leaving the iPod playing by accident... but now I've just gone onto iTunes and one song had a count of 122, when I've played it at most 40 times. I disconnected the iPod and played that song one more time, put it back in the computer and now the play count is 308. :confused: I assume this is some kind of error or bug, and I haven't been able to find anything similar on the web... has anyone got any suggestions? I really don't want to restore it again, and I'm not even sure that that would help as I think it did this before I restored it the first time too.

A few tracks that are together on one album, too, were on 19 yesterday, I've listened to them once since and they're now all at 39. The counts do seem to jump up relatively to what their actual play counts should be.

Any help would be much appreciated, thankyou.

Edit: and I just played that song again, the count is now 680. Nice. :/

Beckyp234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
This usually means you're lacking an update for iTunes or the iPod touch OS. Are you running 9.0.2 for iTunes and 3.1.2 for the iPod OS? A poster on the Apple Discussions page had a similar issue, but with an older iPod from a couple years back.

Thankyou, I just checked, and both are up-to-date :/

Everything else is working fine though?

Yeah, everything else is fine.

It's just really strange, and play counts are wayyy too important to me to ignore this, haha.

Beckyp234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Is it worth just restoring it?
The main reason I don't want to do that is because of the play counts anyway, and now they're all messed up, it seems like it's worth a shot :/

¿iPodTouch?

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
Same Problem, need help

iPod Touch 3rd Gen, v 3.1.2 (Jailbroken)
iTunes v 9.0.2.25

I've been have the same problem for the past month, my song's play counts jump to abnormal numbers and there never seems to be a reason for it.

I reinstalled my iTunes but that didn't work. Also I've been thinking of restoring my iPod Touch but I'm afraid I will lose all my apps, ipas, and media files. If there is a way for me to backup my iPod Touch in its entirety (this includes everything, music, videos, photos, cracked ipas, free ipas, cydia apps, etc.) please tell me.

I really need help with this problem because the play counts are very important to my smart playlists and I can't play any of my music while there is a bug like this one.

Thanks for reading :)

ddcubed

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
I'm having the same exact problem with my iPhone. My iPhone and iTunes are completely up to date. I thought something was funny when a particular song seemed to jump from 12 to 23. That was last night -- tonight (after only playing the song once today), it jumped to 46. Anyone have a solution?

dmn001

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
i have same problem noticed some tracks show play count of 1000+ when i only played them much less than that

alexknibb

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Did anyone get to the bottom of this in the end? I've just got an iPhone4 at same issues. My play count is pretty sacred to me, and there is no way in hell I've listened to Katy Perry that much!! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.