Play-count Problems - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MVallee, Feb 26, 2008.

1. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Ok so I have a strange thing happening on my iPod Touch. I have a playlist that shows the last few songs I've played. It is showing me the accurate information for the songs I listened to, but when I go into iTunes, the iPod shows the playlist as not having any songs last played and doesn't show play-counts or last played stamps for any of the songs I've listened to on it since I got it all set up earlier this week.

When I eject, the playlist on the touch shows the right info again and keeps updating the list as I listen to more songs, but putting it back into iTunes shows no counts or last played yet again.

Any help? I use the play-counts alot for playlists and stuff so I need this resolved.

I'm manually managing music and using 1.1.3 still. Not jail-broken either and using Mac OS X 10.4.11 if that helps.

2. MVallee thread starter macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Slightly interesting development. I reset the iPod and now the iPod also says nothing has been played along with the computer. I tried listening to another song and the computer didn't say any songs were played but looking at the playlist on the touch, it still updates correctly.

This is frustrating.

EDIT: Ok I updated now to 1.1.4 and still its doing the same thing, my next option is restoring which I'd like the avoid if possible.

I tried listening to a song from my iPod using iTunes and the play-count registers fine and then also shows on the playlist on the iPod, but then trying to listen to a song on the iPod still won't show in iTunes. Its like the iPod can't communicate the play-count data to iTunes.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Ok well I got sick of trying stuff so I restored the damn thing and now it works fine. Hopefully thats the last of my issues with it.

3. MVallee thread starter macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Ok so another new development. My iPod worked fine all day until i was driving and it crashed, about 5 different times. When I got home most of the play-counts disappeared from the day except for the few songs I've played since the last crash and a couple other random ones.

Is there a way to stop this from happening at all, and does this happen to everyone or is my iPod defective?

I'm kinda disappointed in it, all my other iPod have performed better.

4. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

By reading all of this, the only thing I can tell you is that you should keep a track of what happens when it crashes, because it could be specific songs on your iPod that the music.app just has a canary over and then decides to die on them.

Unfortunately not every device is perfect and crashing five times is rare but not inconceivable, just try and troubleshot it a bit and see what actions you do to try and minimize those actions or perhaps someone here can diagnose them further.

5. MVallee thread starter macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I've been trying to pinpoint the problem or at least find a pattern and still nothing. It hasn't crashed since I restarted it last night but so far from the music i've listened to today it had only counted about half the play counts, again completely randomly.

My return date was passed yesterday so I may be out of luck if this is an issue with my iPod. Would restoring it again help? Or should I call Apple?

6. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I think if you have already restored it, that's kinda pointless. You may want to try putting it in recovery mode first and then restoring, or some combination. It will be a pain but at least that saves a potential hassle with Apple. Otherwise you may have just some defective thing in there that needs to be resolved with Apple. Just because you are past your 14 day return date it doesn't mean you can't give it to them for a new one because you believe it is really a problem in the iPod. And they usually gladly do it, particularly if you have AppleCare.

7. MVallee thread starter macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Well I took your advice and forced it into recovery mode and restored it. I've played a bunch of songs today and all of them have worked correctly so that seems promising. I have however found a few glitches that seem to still remove the playcounts.

I disconnected my iPod from iTunes and I listened to 10 songs before I powered the iPod off. All the songs still showed on my last played playlist so I then listened to about 10 more before I connected to iTunes. The songs after I restarted counted fine, but all the songs between the last time it was connected to iTunes and the restart lost their play counts.

So it seem connecting to iTunes somehow preserves the play count on the iPod (Its not synced so its not copying them to my Library). And restarting the iPod may erase them. But it seems like that only happens if you listen to music after you restart. Kinda like over-writing.

So I'm going to keep an eye on it and avoid shutting it down completely. Hopefully it won't erase play-counts for no reason again. I'm guessing the shut down thing is a bug in the firmware. I'm hoping thats not just with mine. Anyone else notice it on there iPods?

8. DMoney0023 macrumors member

is there a fix or solution for this yet?? all my songs are still at a 0 play count, but my iPod classic keeps track of the play count