play different region dvds ?

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Hi

I understand that we can only change the dvd region on apple dvd player about 5 times then were stuck with whichever we end on.

I'm a fan of Northern Exposure but I don't see season 2 coming out in the uk. I have a region free dvd player but i'm planning on buying a new powermac with a 20" screen - so obviously I would like watch it on there

Has anyone seen any ways around this - maybe making the dvd player region 0 to make it region free ?

David

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
illustratorDavi said:
Hi

I understand that we can only change the dvd region on apple dvd player about 5 times then were stuck with whichever we end on.

I'm a fan of Northern Exposure but I don't see season 2 coming out in the uk. I have a region free dvd player but i'm planning on buying a new powermac with a 20" screen - so obviously I would like watch it on there

Has anyone seen any ways around this - maybe making the dvd player region 0 to make it region free ?

David
Can you use MactheRipper to rip the DVD, then burn a new DVD in Popcorn and change the Region code there? As long as you own the DVD, it is legal to make a copy as a back-up, but I don't know what laws there are about applying this to DVD's from other Regions. Anyone...Bueller?

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
illustratorDavi said:
Could Macripper be used with Toast I think i'm likely to be buying that ?

David
No.
you need to reencode the movies if they are over 4.7gigabyte (single layer DVD)

But why burn them?
Just rip it and use DVD player on the ripped VIDEO_TS folder.
Just remove macrovision and region codes with mactheripper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.