Play downloaded video on Apple TV?

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
Broadband internet isn’t available where I live, so I have satellite TV. I have been downloading Amazon Prime videos to watch offline. Bought a new Apple TV (4K) so I could mirror the screen to the TV. BUT....it doesn’t work. When I try to mirror my screen to Apple TV I get a message saying I can’t mirror the content but must stream it, which I can’t do. I looked at the Netflix site and they also say downloaded content can only be played on the device it was downloaded to. Is this for real? There’s no way to watch downloaded video on Apple TV?

I saw a recommendation for the Beamer app - has anyone used this to successfully cast/mirror downloaded video to watch offline using ATV? It sucks being internet-challenged. Everyone must figure we aren’t a big enough market to worry about....it’s like Amazon and Netflix just want us to go away until we get enough bandwidth to be worthwhile customers.

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
This doesn’t apply to Netflix anyway. Netflix removed AirPlay couple of months ago. So you can’t AirPlay any content at all much less downloaded content.

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
Netflix web page says:
You can download select TV shows and movies on the Netflix app to watch offline later. Watching downloaded titles offline does not count toward the concurrent streaming limit of your plan. The downloads feature is available on devices that meet the requirements noted below. Downloads are not currently supported on devices that aren't listed below, or on computer browsers. If you see an error message when attempting to download or watch a title, search our Help Center for that message.

What do I need to download TV shows and movies on Netflix?

• An internet connection, and
  • An active Netflix streaming account, and
  • An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 9.0 or later, or
  • A phone or tablet running Android 4.4.2 or later, or
  • An Amazon Fire tablet running Fire OS 4.0 or later, or
  • A tablet or computer running Windows 10 Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) or later, and
  • The latest version of the Netflix Apple iOS, Netflix Android, Amazon Fire, or Netflix Windows 10 app

And further down on the page:
    How do I watch a downloaded title?
    A download can only be watched on the device you downloaded the title on.

NOTE:

Though you do not need to be connected to the internet to watch your downloaded titles, you will need to be signed in to your Netflix account to access them. To ensure you always have access to your downloads, we recommend remaining signed in to your Netflix mobile app.
Which is irksome. There is no difference between watching s streamed video vs a downloaded video on the same TV, is there? As far as digital rights/sharing go?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2015
Netflix web page says:
You can download select TV shows and movies on the Netflix app to watch offline later. Watching downloaded titles offline does not count toward the concurrent streaming limit of your plan. The downloads feature is available on devices that meet the requirements noted below. Downloads are not currently supported on devices that aren't listed below, or on computer browsers. If you see an error message when attempting to download or watch a title, search our Help Center for that message.

What do I need to download TV shows and movies on Netflix?

• An internet connection, and
  • An active Netflix streaming account, and
  • An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 9.0 or later, or
  • A phone or tablet running Android 4.4.2 or later, or
  • An Amazon Fire tablet running Fire OS 4.0 or later, or
  • A tablet or computer running Windows 10 Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) or later, and
  • The latest version of the Netflix Apple iOS, Netflix Android, Amazon Fire, or Netflix Windows 10 app

And further down on the page:
    How do I watch a downloaded title?
    A download can only be watched on the device you downloaded the title on.

NOTE:

Though you do not need to be connected to the internet to watch your downloaded titles, you will need to be signed in to your Netflix account to access them. To ensure you always have access to your downloads, we recommend remaining signed in to your Netflix mobile app.
Which is irksome. There is no difference between watching s streamed video vs a downloaded video on the same TV, is there? As far as digital rights/sharing go?
As it says you can only watch on the device it’s downloaded to using the mobile app ie iPhone or iPad.

Reactions: JBaby

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
I know. This is a recent change. It used to work. I’m complaining because they changed the way it works, and changed it in a way that leaves those without broadband internet any way to watch video offline using the same tv the streaming file uses. It’s not like I have any other options. I can’t get high speed internet here.

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
I know. This is a recent change. It used to work. I’m complaining because they changed the way it works, and changed it in a way that leaves those without broadband internet any way to watch video offline using the same tv the streaming file uses. It’s not like I have any other options. I can’t get high speed internet here.
This’s why I unsubscribe to Netflix. If you continue supporting them they will continue doing things like this.

Subscribe to anything TV app offer instead (HBO, Starz etc.) you’ll be able to download & AirPlay with no problems since TV app is all Apple.

Last edited:

gecko579

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
DC
This’s why I unsubscribe to Netflix. If you continue supporting them they will continue doing things like this.
You CAN project from an iDevice to (e.g.) TV using lightning to HDMI cable. Cumbersome and some issues with "mirroring" (usually unwanted) vs (usually the desired) "displaying video" on the TV but we do it often for watching Netflix we VPN into (need to use iDevice as :apple:TV can't store a VPN.)

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Do you have a decent 4G mobile signal? If so, many providers offers 4G WiFi routers with say 100GB a month data allowance. Select your ATV to 720p and you'll use less data I guess. Here in the UK EE have even released a 5G mobile router WiFi system coming next month.

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
Do you have a decent 4G mobile signal? If so, many providers offers 4G WiFi routers with say 100GB a month data allowance. Select your ATV to 720p and you'll use less data I guess. Here in the UK EE have even released a 5G mobile router WiFi system coming next month.
Man, you are lucky, my internet is via 4G LTE but the cap is 15 GB. Just not enough for video. I gave up on the ATV and will try the cable. I hate problems like this, where the technology is spot on but the humans muck it up.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Man, you are lucky, my internet is via 4G LTE but the cap is 15 GB. Just not enough for video. I gave up on the ATV and will try the cable. I hate problems like this, where the technology is spot on but the humans muck it up.
Best of luck with it all bro! Hopefully they will upgrade the broadband in your area soon! :)