OS X Play DVD based game without the DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by davidg4781, Aug 9, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I recently switched to a mini without an ODD. I came across a game I had started playing on my MBP that requires the disc to play. It's the Original Lego Indiana Jones game.

Is there a way I can maybe have a disc image on the HDD and use that to play? Would that cause excess wear on the HDD? I have a PPC Mac that I can use disc sharing with but this game play only on Intel Macs.

I was thinking of selling it if I can't get it to work. I've thought of buying an external but I'm kind of cheap and I don't think it's worth it just to play this game... at this point in time.

2. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

You could create an ISO image from DVD and mount it. Depending of the game and its - potential - anti-copy mechanism it might work or not. Your HDD will have absolutely no problem with that.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You can get the game really cheap now, digitally, so you can always go that way if making a virtual disc image isn't working.

4. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I used to use Virtual CloneDrive by SlySoft for this. Worked every time.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

External DVD drives can be had for $15 or less. You don't need to use one of Apple's expensive USB Superdrives.

6. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Agreed, I actually use an external Blu-Ray burner made by Samsung for when I want to rip a movie or something.

7. in2tech macrumors regular

I have Microsoft Flight Simulator X Gold Edition on DVD. I want to make an ISO mainly as a backup and to more easily install the game. They recently discontinued selling it on DVD, when a Steam Edition came out and the boxed versions around have sky rocketed in price. I just want to protect my original DVD and have a backup incase something happens to the DVD's, (scratched, etc...) I have all the codes in my original DVD boxed edition for activation.

Can I do this with Virtual Clone Drive the free version?

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you have a drive that can get around whatever copy protection the DVD version has, then VCD should work fine.

9. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

The game uses the DVD as a security token (that game was released before online activation existed) so I think you'll need an external drive. The newer LEGO games don't have this restriction.

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I may have tried using an ISO years ago and failed. Now that I don't have a drive it got me thinking about it again.

And does anyone know where I can find this digitally online? MAS doesn't have the original.

But, I think when I moved to the mini, I deleted all my game data since I didn't think I could play anymore :(.

11. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

12. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

13. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

I just responded to your other post regarding old pc games... it seems we like the same games. AOE, LOTR and Lego Indi! Hahah! I just finished Lego Indi 2 and looking forward to playing the original game on mac.

Anyway I suggest you try Virtual CloneDrive by SlySoft as someone suggested above... Of course you will need a DVD drive in the meantime, but if it works you won't need it to play the game in the future.

Hope you get it to work and let us know how you go. I might be trying this trick out myself soon!

14. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

LEGO Indy 1 was never updated for digital release. Many of the other LEGO games have been but LEGO Indy 1 hasn't been. I'd recommend a USB DVD drive to install and play if you want to.