Play DVD on macbook pro, stream to Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Liljestrand, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Liljestrand macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I've been searching some on the web but couldn't find an answer for the new generation (2nd) of Apple TV. My setup is the new MacBook Pro and the new AirPort Extreme router. I want to buy a some kind of media center and I thought that Apple TV would be nice.
    I got some questions, though. Is it possible on the 2nd generation of Apple TV to play a DVD on my MacBook Pro and stream it directly to Apple TV without any 3rd-party software?
    If this is not possible, can you recommend any other media center that can do this without problem? (I want a small and nice looking one)
    And also, which kind of formats can Apple TV play?

Thanks in advance,
    Liljestrand

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Apple's DVD player software doesn't support Airplay.

For files in iTunes (such as ripped DVDs or movies bought through the iTunes store), you can steam to the Apple TV.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Main @ L3.1 is wholly pessimistic, iTunes content is High@L3.1 and a lot of people have reported that High@L4.1 works fine.

Regardless, you're limited to H264 w/ AAC, you can passthrough AC3 to a receiver but ATV can't decode it itself.

Xvid does work, but you have to pack it in to m4v or mp4 rather than avi. Also, mp3 does not work, it needs to be AAC or AC3 for passthrough to receiver.

And the last option for M-JPEG is mostly for digital cameras and the like.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You can setup iTunes on a stand alone machine and share it's library via home sharing.

Then from ATV you can see all the movies in that machine's iTunes account and play them back on the TV.

The MBP can do the same thing; you can see the shared library, and play back anything there. No need to use the DVD player; it's all done within iTunes.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You're missing the point.
    That can't be done with iTunes or any other software without an iOS device to AirPlay to ATV.

6. yaoooo macrumors newbie

Solution: Vlc + airparrot

Yes. it is possible and no need to rip dvd or load the folder to stream to me or air video. and it's actually very simple.

requirement:

VLC player: free.
    Airparrot: not free. google it and check it yourself. i'm not advertising it here.

step 1: of course, put your DVD in the superdrive.
    step 2: quit the DVDPlayer if it opens by default.
    step 3: play your DVD using VLC player or some other 3rd party software, as long as it is NOT DVDplayer.
    step 4: open airparrot and start mirroring the screen to apple tv. DONE!

The Apple DVDPlayer doesn't support airplay for some reason. so i came up with this easy fix. the graphic is not bad but it also depends on your mac's processing power.

anyway at least we now have a non-rip-dvd and reasonably straightforward solution. And, it's WIRELESS!!!!!:D

EDIT: airplay mirroring should be a default in mountain lion. then may not need airparrot. will see.

7. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

DVD Player doesn't support mirroring for the same reason it prevents you from taking direct screen shots of a movie...at the studios' request.

It remains to be seen how thorough Mountain Lion's AirPlay Mirroring will be, and what limitations/restrictions will be imposed. I suspect many...

For now the answer is yes, it can be done, but you will need 3rd party mirroring software like AirParrot or similar to do it.

8. kaki4125 macrumors newbie

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.

Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

9. hector361 macrumors newbie

Basically if you can play your video on your iPod it will play on Apple TV.

The specs say you'll be able to play "H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level one.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile"

Apple TV Features