Play input sound over speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by subfactor, Sep 20, 2007.

1. subfactor macrumors newbie

Is there a simple way to play the sound coming into audio input over my speakers (headphone jack)? I have two macs running side by side and I would like my new mac to act like a receiver for the old one.

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If the Mac you want to use as the sound destination has an audio in port of some sort, you're all set. Just plug a standard audio cable into the headphone port of the source Mac and the other end into the audio in port of the destination Mac (you may need an adapter).

3. subfactor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I have that all set but how do I get the sound to come out of the headphones.

I am using one of those aluminum iMacs.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

On the source Mac, you don't have to do anything. Macs are smart - they'll switch to the headphone port as their sound output if anything's plugged into the port. On the destination Mac just plug some headphones into the headphone port.

5. subfactor thread starter macrumors newbie

I have everything plugged in and recognized, the audio out is set to headphones and I can hear through it.. but I still cant hear the sound that is coming into the input (other mac) over this macs headphones.

Do I need some third party software to do this?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I forgot, there's one other thing you need to do, and that's change your sound input source from Microphone to Line In in System Preferences. Once that's done it should work.

7. subfactor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I figured it out. An application that will play the input thru the output is LineIn

8. behangin24 macrumors newbie

I can't thank you enough for posting this link! I've been beating my head against my desk trying to figure this out for over a month now.

You're my hero :D

9. McBeats macrumors 6502a

thanks for asking this question and posting about LineIn ... Solved my problem!!!

10. TheCM macrumors newbie

Thank you for posting the app!
    I have been trying to get this to work for over an hour. Between my 2010 Macbook pro and 2009 mac mini, both OS X 10.6.
    I could see the sound level on the sound input level bar graph inside the preferences>sound measuring the input coming from the source mac on the receiving mac.
    None of that sounds would play with internal or external speakers on the receiving mac. There was nothing in the preferences>sound or utilities>audio midi utility that wasn't greyed out and would let me hear sound.
    in less than 1 minute after downloading linein app I had sound.

thanks again!