Play Mechwarrior 2 (Win95) on Mac with Winebottler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Acechris89, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Acechris89 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this is actually my first post. I'm aware similar questions have been asked before, but I'm having a pretty specific issue. I'm using a Macbook Pro OS X 10.5 that I bought secondhand from a friend and what I'd really like to do is play an old disc I used to play on my PC years ago on the Mac. The game is Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries which was designed to run on Windows 95 or MSDos. I actually recall I used to play it on a Windows 98 system so I know it runs on higher. I've heard I can use Winebottler or VirtualBox to simulate the desired operating system in order to play the game, but haven't had much luck with either. In Winebottler I can open the disc contents and see a few .exe files that are compatible with Winebottler so I tried to run them: (such as setup.exe). it actually went through the whole install process, and when a splash screen appeared saying 'Play' I thought I was home free. Clicking it didn't do anything though. I tried to use VirtualBox, but after creating the virtual Windows95 in the program and trying to run it, I got a message "FATAL: no bootable medium found! System halted." I heard that you actually need to install the OS disc onto the VirtualBox software which I'd likely have to buy at this point, but I just thought I'd test the waters to see if it was actually true.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually attempted what I'm trying to do with any success and if anyone could (hopefully) walk me through the process, (hopefully step-by-step)

I should add that I'm not really all that computer savvy to begin with, and have only been a Mac user for about 3 months now, so any help would be much appreciated. Also, I apologize if I'm starting a redundant post here.

Thanks,

Chris

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You need actual OS discs to install Windows using virtual box(or any virtualizing software for that matter), which is why Virtualbox didn't work for you.

I doubt you'll be able to get this to run with a wrapper like Winebottler.

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

4. laetusviator macrumors member

laetusviator