iPad mini Play movies on ipad mini retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by twdi, Dec 13, 2013.

1. twdi macrumors member

I really like the Ipad mini retina because off the screen (for my pictures) and the design. I also have a macbook pro retina.

People I've spoken to say, the ipad is still restricted and for example connecting to shares on my windows pc and playing movies, show pictures is not possible.

But.. what is true.. I don't know. Can somebody explain me if that's possible WITHOUT converting the movies/pictures.
    Can I show pictures directly from my netwerk?

Which restricting can I expect when I buy a ipad instead of an android tablet?

2. tyche macrumors 6502

For iOS the usual workaround is to have software on your PC that your iOS device uses to connect to your content - pictures or videos.

There are app solutions to view pictures and video directly from your PC by doing this - no conversions needed. There are several choices ranging from around $.99 to $4.99.

There is also some new video players that can play video without needing the companion software on a PC or converting even if stored on the iOS device!

So you can expect to do similar things to Android although there are tighter restrictions and flexibility in some ways with iOS.

3. twdi thread starter macrumors member

Can you advise some of the programs so I can look them up at the internet?
    Hopefully it gives me an idea how it works

4. 007p macrumors 6502a

Video: AVPlayerHD, nplayer and if your 'tight' on money, VLC (free) should cover pretty everything.

IDK much about picture apps so someone else will have to help you there.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For pictures, try FileBrowser or GoodReader. These apps can connect to shared drives on your local network, and copy files to/from the iPad. I know FileBrowser has a picture slideshow function, not sure about GoodReader. Also, look for photo streaming apps -- googling ”iPad photo streaming" should do it,