Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jr.macintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hi,
i have a ps3 and i really would like to play ps3 on my macbook pro 2011 15",
I've seen adaptars and such wich use RCA connectors (red, white, yellow connectors) to USB and audio in, but i prefer better quality and less lag :D.
Is their a good adaptar for ps3 from hdmi -> thunderbolt?, or an other way to go through thunderbolt...

thanks

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Pretty sure it's impossible to use your MacBook as a screen for other devices, you can only output your MacBook to another screen.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
There are solutions like EasyCap DC60 and others but they look horrible on the Pro.

I really suggest you getting a TV or a gaming monitor.
I purchased the DC60 but the graphic is so horrible you cant read words on the screen.

Really, just buy a gaming monitor.
I just bought a LG E2370V-BF Gaming monitor (works for PS3 and can connect Mac via HDMI/DVI) for 170USD.

jr.macintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I believe something like this is what you are looking for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8JGot_Ny8w

I doubt there is anything that can utilize the thunderbolt port yet in such a manner, but maybe in the foreseeable future.

I stumbled upon this and they say that if you turn on the game mode (so no recording), their is a delay of only milliseconds so almost no lag.
And since i am not willing to record gameplay (maybe in the future, i could hook my mac through the eyetv, to the tv that is branched to the ps3. So i could record...).
The eyetv is my second choice if there was no such thing as playing through thunderbolt.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Get a 22" 1080p monitor for like $100. It will be cheaper than any Thunderbolt adapter (much cheaper), won't have lag, and will allow you to play blu-rays and the (few) PS3 games that output in 1080p.

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Sony recently had the ps3 3dtv/monitor with glasses and game on sale for like either 199 or 299 cant remember.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
So your thread is really "play ps3 on your macbook pro?" vs. "play ps3 on your macbook pro!". It is misleading.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Problem is that i don't have a lot of room to put an extra monitor :(

Your best bet is to make room. =/ Sorry to tell you. Paying an extra $200 to do what you want to do isn't worth it. No space is that cramped... get creative. :p

DJD217

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2015
Pretty sure it's impossible to use your MacBook as a screen for other devices, you can only output your MacBook to another screen.
Sorry about this, but I am able to get my phone screen onto my macbook air using a iphone charger and quicktime player.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi,
i have a ps3 and i really would like to play ps3 on my macbook pro 2011 15",
I've seen adaptars and such wich use RCA connectors (red, white, yellow connectors) to USB and audio in, but i prefer better quality and less lag :D.
Is their a good adaptar for ps3 from hdmi -> thunderbolt?, or an other way to go through thunderbolt...

thanks
All video ports on a Macbook pro (and just about every single laptop on the market today) are outputs only. None of them are connected to the internal screen.

You'd need to go through a capture card, which would induce enough lag to render pretty much any game unplayable.

What you want to do is not possible.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.