Play Region 1 DVD's On MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by northy124, Jan 16, 2008.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hi

I have a couple of US Region 1 DVD's that i want to play on my MacBook White, i have tried VLC Player but for some reason it won't play and i don't want to change the region code so that i can play just 2 DVD's. I have also tried ripping them to HDD with Handbrake didn't work. Is there another free program that will let me play them.

Thanks Northy124

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

you can try mactheripper 2.6.6 to make them region free... if that fails you might be able to find mactheripper 3r14d beta floating around that may help if they are newer titles... other than that there are a slew of windows programs if you have windows readily available

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As I recall, it's the drives themselves in the Intel laptops that enforce the region code changing much more forcefully, not OS X. I could be wrong though. Was there ever a solution found for this?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Search for your DVD drive at www.rpc1.org and if you are lucky there will be a patched version of your drive firmware. Patch your DVD drive with the firmware, then use RegionX (google for it) to be completely region free.

My MacBook (late '06) is patched and now region free.

5. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

6. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

OK i guess i cant play region 1 DVD's as i have one of those DVD Drives that hacks are hard to do Damit

7. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

8. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

yh i tried that as i stated in my Org. post but thanks anyway

9. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

VLC works for me. Tested a few R1 and R3 discs on a drive that is set to R2. No problem... What happens when you insert the disc? Get the message that it is a different region, and would you like to reset it? If so, go to System Prefs and check out what happens when you use DVDs.

10. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

Are you sure it works for you? When i insert a DVD from US itsays wrong region code please change and i don't want to change just for one bloody DVD, If i had like 20 i would but i don't how does it work on yours? Is it the MacBook released in Nov/Dec (I got in Dec)