"Play review" software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steeveage, Sep 14, 2007.

1. steeveage macrumors member

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any software for the Mac that caters to the following usage:

What I would like to do is what you see live on sports broadcasts replays. The broadcast takes video playing at normal speed, and is able to speed up/slow down/reverse the video, all the while being able to visually annotate the video with X's, O's, and lines on the screen and also provide voice commentary.

I would like to take my own video and manipulate the video playback, while the software records my voice and visual annotations, and turn all of this into a video that I can then post online.

Any software which makes this easy? It doesn't seem like your normal video editing software would make it easy.

Thanks for all your help.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

easy? not really... but definitely possible depending on time and budget.

What you see on TV is combination of things working at once. You could do it in three steps, though. First would be to record an audio commentary track. FCP has this feature, I think. Otherwise, Garageband or any other audio program will let you do it.

The drawing on the screen could be done in after effects. However, you would just be drawing the arrows, X's, and O's on a blank canvas only to overly them on the video later. I don't know of any consumer programs that will allow you to draw on the video in real time.

Controlling the speed is just time-remapping which can be done in most NLE's and effects programs.

I worked on a football TV crew for a season and manned the replay machine. I would replay the down from a hard disk recorder and used a jog dial to control playback.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Another option for you would be to try out Motion 3's ( Part of Final Cut Studio 2 ) with it's new Paint tool. The voiceover part could be done in Final Cut Pro.

I know that you're probably looking for something much simpler, so it's probably not what you're wanting, but I thought I would throw that out there.