Play video and play a game?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Motawa, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Motawa macrumors 6502

I would like to stream a video from my iPad to an Apple TV but at the same time I want to play a game on my iPad without it streaming to the tv. So is the Apple TV able to continue streaming the video on its own?

I am using AirPlay software right now and it's not working. As soon as I close the video on my iPad the video stops.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No

Nope.

With a Mac you could treat it as an extended desktop, but the same won't work with iPad.

3. Motawa thread starter macrumors 6502

So there is no functional difference between airserver and Apple TV?

I am talking about streaming video from the Internet, not from the iPads storage.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

AirServer turns your Mac into a receiver.

AppleTV is a receiver.

It doesn't matter where your video is from, iPads have limited multitasking, especially with video.

5. Motawa thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. Thank you.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Some apps like YouTube disable background processes so you are not able to AirPlay while the app is minimized in the background. You may want to try the Jasmine app, which last I tried, does allow AirPlay in the background.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Play video and play a game?

YouTube app will Airplay a video while you use an iOS device for other task.

I have a video playing right as I type this in tapatalk.

Click the Airplay symbol in youtube.

[​IMG]

I don't have a single game to test it with however.

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Weird, I never got that to work. Every time I minimize the YouTube app, the AirPlay process will just stop.

9. cynics macrumors G4

Try rebooting and updating everything. I was using my iPhone (same phone) to Airplay at a buddies house a few days ago and it would quit when the phone would fall asleep. Annoying keeping my phone awake while playing long videos.

I don't know if it was his ATV which hadn't been updated to the latest update or my iPhone.

Works perfectly for me at my house. And although I don't have a game it should work just fine if other apps I have work and when the phone sleeps. So it seems that the OP is having the same issue although I don't think he mentioned which video player he was using.

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Hmm, will try it later. My iOS device air plays just fine when locked (so long as YouTube is the active app). That much I am certain.