Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rokusaburo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I recently bought an Apple DVI-to-Video adapter to connect my TV to my Mac Pro via composite.

I did this to watch videos from my Mac on my TV, but I can't seem to be able to play them fullscreen on my TV. Whenever I drag a video to the TV monitor and press Cmd+F (in Quicktime), the video goes fullscreen on my computer monitor.

Any suggestions?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
If you have Quicktime Pro, all you need to do is go to the 'Full Screen' section of its Preferences (not 'Quicktime Preferences') and you'll should see two blue squares (assuming you have extended desktop mode as it sounds like you have).

Simply click the other screen, and you'll see the Quicktime 'Q' jump across. That ought to do it :)

If you choose 'Present movie', it'll give you the screen choice that way too, but the first way will make it the default.

Rokusaburo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If you have Quicktime Pro, all you need to do is go to the 'Full Screen' section of its Preferences (not 'Quicktime Preferences') and you'll should see two blue squares (assuming you have extended desktop mode as it sounds like you have).

Simply click the other screen, and you'll see the Quicktime 'Q' jump across. That ought to do it :)

If you choose 'Present movie', it'll give you the screen choice that way too, but the first way will make it the default.

Thanks a lot! That did the trick! :D

Also, would you happen to know if leaving my TV plugged in to my Mac would affect performance? The TV would usually be turned off, but does this mean that OS X doesn't detect that a second display is plugged in?
BTW, i'm using a Mac Pro w/ X-1900XT and a 23" ACD as my primary display.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Also, would you happen to know if leaving my TV plugged in to my Mac would affect performance? The TV would usually be turned off, but does this mean that OS X doesn't detect that a second display is plugged in?
BTW, i'm using a Mac Pro w/ X-1900XT and a 23" ACD as my primary display.

I would think if the TV is turned off the Mac will ignore it, but I'm not 100% sure. You wouldn't be able to send the mouse off whichever side of the screen the desktop is extending to if it's ignoring it, or you could check if it's still there by turning on the 'Show displays in menu bar' option in system preferences> displays, which would give you a list of resolutions for any detected displays from your main screen when you click it (try it with and then without the TV on to see the difference).

BTW, that's a nice set-up you have there! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.