Play videos without converting iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awaisuk, Aug 9, 2010.

1. awaisuk macrumors member

Hey.

Play videos without converting iphone?

Is it possible? Is there some App like VLC to run on Iphone that can play all video files without converting them?

Thanks.

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

You want all the results while putting absolutely zero effort in? If it were that easy, why would converters even exist?

3. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

I setup a windows home server and added Air Video and ORB... I prefer Air Video for the movies, but both are good. I have not had any problems watching different formats. This solution is streaming, however; rather than playing directly on the phone itself.

4. Los macrumors regular

I'd go for Stream to Me. I have it, and it's fantastic. Same thing as airvideo, but I personally think it's better. The interface was easier to use, and it can play 720p files for your iPad or iPhone 4, as long as your PC can handle them.

You literally just, download Serve to Me, add a folder that has the video files that you want to stream to the iPhone, and open up Stream to Me on your iPhone, and click away.

So far it has handled every single video file I've thrown at it, including AVI and MKV, in 1080p. AND, it can also stream my ENTIRE iTunes library if I want.

In my opinion, worth the $3.

5. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

cineXplayer - free in the appstore today. Plays xvid/avi files loaded through itunes. I know it works for iPad, so not sure if it will work for the iPhone. The article is on Engadget today - watch the Youtube video in the article to see how its done.

6. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I bought PlayOn last year to stream hulu, netflix and other content to my PS3 (way before they had the instant streaming disc and native app). Now PlayOn supports the iPhone too. I can stream hulu, netflix, comedy central (with every Southpark episode, Daily Show, etc), cbs, spike, mtv, and more to my iPhone (And you don't need to be on your home network to access this content). Since I already had a PlayOn license I just had to upgrade to premium for $5 for the first year (Not sure how much a new license will cost). I figure $5 for a year of wireless streaming is a steal considering Hulu Plus is $10 per month, and the Netflix iPhone app has yet to be released.

I've been using PlayOn's iPhone webapp for the last few days and it's been very reliable. For the Op's purposes: You can use PlayOn to stream any media content from your home network to your iPhone. There are also tons of user created plugins/scripts that stream content from other sources too, some with hundreds of movies and TV shows.

7. Doom878 macrumors member

Any alternative out there to PlayOn so that I can watch Hulu,Netflix, etc to my iPhone?

8. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

You can download hulu+ ($10 per month)
    Netflix should have it's own app soon for paid members.

9. lily69 macrumors regular

Get media browser in App store. I use TVersity free version on PC and plays almost all videos and music. For Hulu, I think Tversity pro handles it? not so sure.
    Media Browser is just simple and easy to use, work with many servers and NAS it claims. It does see my Win7 media server too.

10. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

This is the best thing to use specially for hd mkv files.

11. Doom878 macrumors member

Playon is too slow for me. On wifi watching south park on my iPhone through the CBS channel had too much buffeting and it makes my computer slow. Hulu plus too much. I'll just stream through dropbox whatever I download for now.

12. children macrumors regular

wouldnt it be possible for a divx player to come to iphone?
    on the ipad there are a few like cinexplayer and yxplayer

13. djinni999 macrumors newbie

strange that most of the answers pertain to streaming to your phone, which has nothing to do with what you asked.
    i use fileapp pro. it plays HD mp4 files flawlessly without conversion. it can't play mkv's however. i haven't tried out all sorts of formats yet, but i'm sure it'll play a few others.
    here are a few others: OPlayer, cinexplayer (couldn't get it to work), goodreader.

i'd also like to know of some alternatives, ie, universal players like mpc or vlc, and please don't mention streaming, server programs.

14. shandyman Suspended

cinexplayer works perfectly fine, add the files to the device via itunes file sharing, then go into the app and play, not had any problems with it.

no harm in streaming or converting tho, they're the simpler options as they will work off the bat.

15. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

iPhone won't play without conversion.

If you're willing, you can try a different phone. Vibrant plays divx/xvid/mkv/h.264 without conversion. It also has DLNA for network streaming to/from computers.

There are other phones with similar features

16. shandyman Suspended

yes it will, with cinexplayer, there are some other ones too, that play without conversion, like oPlayer.

17. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I'll try those players. You're sure they dont' just do h.264?

18. shandyman Suspended

oPlayer is the better one i think at the mo, it does WMV/AVI/MKV /RM/RMVB/XVID/MP4/MOV/3GP/MPG

it also does the divx files i tried too.

19. djinni999 macrumors newbie

regarding oPlayer; i have a 720p mkv film fragment. i converted this to mp4 and it plays in fileapp pro perfectly. the source file as a mkv can't be played by fileapp. oplayer does play it but is slow, no audio sync, stutters, etc. what do you think the problem is?

20. shandyman Suspended

no idea, probably best to contact the makers or something, i've not had a problem on mine.

21. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

That's odd. It works smoothly for me streaming from my Dual-Core Lenovo laptop.

22. Che Castro macrumors 603

23. Doom878 macrumors member

Maybe my laptop chip isn't up to par. I have a newer but basic E-Machines. Oh well, since Netflix is here I can use that but no free Hulu.