Play YouTube in background?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Geoff., Aug 8, 2010.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Anyway to do this? I tried backgrounder with the YouTube app with no luck

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Once Youtube is backgrounded you have to open SBSettings and tap the iPod/Play toggle. I don't think this toggle is installed by default.

3. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

There is no such toggle? Can you be more specific, thanks.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To get the toggle, download "iPod Widget" from Cydia and turn on in SBSettings to make it show up.

5. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Got it sorted before that reply. Thanks for help works good, does it drain battery btw?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It has the same battery drain as watching regular Youtube.

7. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I forgot to say the main reason I want to do this is to play music from YouTube while browsing the web.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's what I do with mine. I've yet to see any massive battery drain.

9. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

11. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Another option for anyone not interested in jailbreaking is to get one of the 3rd party web applications that allows for double-pane browsing or play youtube in a background tab which I've tested on "Perfect Browser". I'm still baffled by the YouTube uploaded music. The overhead of streaming video JUST to get the audio from it is so resource intensive.

Is it a loophole which legally allows audio to be redistributed as "Fair Use" if it accompanies the video?

12. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

That's pretty cool but perfect browser doesn't support facebook chat and I need that so I use atomic browser and let it identify the browser Safari desktop to get FB chat

13. mechanesthesia macrumors member

How exactly can you do that? I just downloaded perfect browser, and I can't figure it out.

14. tanderson11 macrumors member

i just added itunes widget to sbsettings and tried running youtube then minimizing it and the music went away. do i have to have backgrounder with it, or no?

i've always wanted to get this to work but havent found out how to until now!

also, will it work with mitube do ya'll know?

thanks!

15. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Open a tab, browse to YouTube. Start you YouTube video. Open a second tab, browse wherever you like.

If you have backgrounder installed via cydia , you could open the YouTube player and set it to run in the background. But the efficiency of having it in the same app running won't be realized. You could open other apps that don't use sound to play them with backgrounder.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does not work with MiTube or MxTube. Only Youtube/Yourtube. To make it work you must start playing the video. Then background YouTube. This will pause the video. Make SBSettings appear and press the play toggle. If your iPod music starts playing, you will need to force quit iPod, then repeat the process outlined above.

17. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Facebook chat works in Perfect browser. Enable Desktop Web Rendering from settings and choose Firefox or IE. :D

18. darkside90 macrumors newbie

Hey, I tried exact thing, force quit ipod then play youtube video, i have backgrounder installed as well. I've tried like every method, force quit ipod, disable backgrounder on ipod (i have ipod widget!), then open multitasking and close ipod. I still am not able to have youtube playing in the background while browsing any other apps, etc.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Ok, let me try way #2: Start playing the YouTube video of your choice, pause it, Background YouTube, go to Homescreen (if not already there), tap Play widget on SBSettings. This will start playing the backgounded YouTube video. If you head you iPod music instead, you must force quit/kill the iPod/Music app.

20. darkside90 macrumors newbie

Still no luck :( I follow exactly what you are saying, I force quit ipod, close it or whatever. After my youtube is running in the background, and I completely close ipod. Whenever I press play through sbs settings on ipod widget, it still plays ipod, no matter what! HELPLPP :(

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

22. darkside90 macrumors newbie

4.0, the newest jailbreak software + i have a iphone 4

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't know if my method works with 4.0 or not. My iPhone is 3.1.3.

24. dmcwally macrumors member

No need to jailbreak anymore !!

If your on 4.2.1 just open up the YouTube app play something when it starts press the home button then double tap till u get the multitasking menu then swipe to the left till u see the iPod player controlls u willl see the YouTube icon and just push play again !!!!!! There's YouTube in the background !

25. mstrze macrumors 68000

Although most YouTube music uploads are simply played over a still image so, YES more intensive that just streaming audio, but really not much more.