macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Anyway to do this? I tried backgrounder with the YouTube app with no luck

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Once Youtube is backgrounded you have to open SBSettings and tap the iPod/Play toggle. I don't think this toggle is installed by default.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
There is no such toggle? Can you be more specific, thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
To get the toggle, download "iPod Widget" from Cydia and turn on in SBSettings to make it show up.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Got it sorted before that reply. Thanks for help works good, does it drain battery btw?

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
I forgot to say the main reason I want to do this is to play music from YouTube while browsing the web.

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Another option for anyone not interested in jailbreaking is to get one of the 3rd party web applications that allows for double-pane browsing or play youtube in a background tab which I've tested on "Perfect Browser". I'm still baffled by the YouTube uploaded music. The overhead of streaming video JUST to get the audio from it is so resource intensive.

Is it a loophole which legally allows audio to be redistributed as "Fair Use" if it accompanies the video?

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
That's pretty cool but perfect browser doesn't support facebook chat and I need that so I use atomic browser and let it identify the browser Safari desktop to get FB chat

mechanesthesia

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
Another option for anyone not interested in jailbreaking is to get one of the 3rd party web applications that allows for double-pane browsing or play youtube in a background tab which I've tested on "Perfect Browser". I'm still baffled by the YouTube uploaded music. The overhead of streaming video JUST to get the audio from it is so resource intensive.

Is it a loophole which legally allows audio to be redistributed as "Fair Use" if it accompanies the video?
How exactly can you do that? I just downloaded perfect browser, and I can't figure it out.

tanderson11

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
i just added itunes widget to sbsettings and tried running youtube then minimizing it and the music went away. do i have to have backgrounder with it, or no?

i've always wanted to get this to work but havent found out how to until now!

also, will it work with mitube do ya'll know?

thanks!

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
How exactly can you do that? I just downloaded perfect browser, and I can't figure it out.
Open a tab, browse to YouTube. Start you YouTube video. Open a second tab, browse wherever you like.

If you have backgrounder installed via cydia , you could open the YouTube player and set it to run in the background. But the efficiency of having it in the same app running won't be realized. You could open other apps that don't use sound to play them with backgrounder.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I just added iTunes widget to SBSettings and tried running YouTube then minimizing it and the music went away. Do I have to have backgrounder with it, or no?

I've always wanted to get this to work but haven't found out how to until now!

Also, will it work with MiTube do ynz know?
It does not work with MiTube or MxTube. Only Youtube/Yourtube. To make it work you must start playing the video. Then background YouTube. This will pause the video. Make SBSettings appear and press the play toggle. If your iPod music starts playing, you will need to force quit iPod, then repeat the process outlined above.

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
That's pretty cool but perfect browser doesn't support facebook chat and I need that so I use atomic browser and let it identify the browser Safari desktop to get FB chat
Facebook chat works in Perfect browser. Enable Desktop Web Rendering from settings and choose Firefox or IE. :D

darkside90

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
It does not work with MiTube or MxTube. Only Youtube/Yourtube. To make it work you must start playing the video. Then background YouTube. This will pause the video. Make SBSettings appear and press the play toggle. If your iPod music starts playing, you will need to force quit iPod, then repeat the process outlined above.
Hey, I tried exact thing, force quit ipod then play youtube video, i have backgrounder installed as well. I've tried like every method, force quit ipod, disable backgrounder on ipod (i have ipod widget!), then open multitasking and close ipod. I still am not able to have youtube playing in the background while browsing any other apps, etc.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Hey, I tried exact thing, force quit ipod then play youtube video, i have backgrounder installed as well. I've tried like every method, force quit ipod, disable backgrounder on ipod (i have ipod widget!), then open multitasking and close ipod. I still am not able to have youtube playing in the background while browsing any other apps, etc.
Ok, let me try way #2: Start playing the YouTube video of your choice, pause it, Background YouTube, go to Homescreen (if not already there), tap Play widget on SBSettings. This will start playing the backgounded YouTube video. If you head you iPod music instead, you must force quit/kill the iPod/Music app.

darkside90

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Ok, let me try way #2: Start playing the YouTube video of your choice, pause it, Background YouTube, go to Homescreen (if not already there), tap Play widget on SBSettings. This will start playing the backgounded YouTube video. If you head you iPod music instead, you must force quit/kill the iPod/Music app.
Still no luck :( I follow exactly what you are saying, I force quit ipod, close it or whatever. After my youtube is running in the background, and I completely close ipod. Whenever I press play through sbs settings on ipod widget, it still plays ipod, no matter what! HELPLPP :(

dmcwally

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
No need to jailbreak anymore !!

If your on 4.2.1 just open up the YouTube app play something when it starts press the home button then double tap till u get the multitasking menu then swipe to the left till u see the iPod player controlls u willl see the YouTube icon and just push play again !!!!!! There's YouTube in the background !

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I'm still baffled by the YouTube uploaded music. The overhead of streaming video JUST to get the audio from it is so resource intensive.
Although most YouTube music uploads are simply played over a still image so, YES more intensive that just streaming audio, but really not much more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.