playback of mvk files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nownot, May 4, 2007.

1. nownot macrumors regular

i have a c2d macbook 1 gb ram hooked up to a 37 westinghouse running 1344x756. i can start to watch a mvk file in vlc but then it starts to studder and goes crazy. i quit all apps before playback. is there another way to play these files or am i doing something wrong? thanks for the help.

info on file
    video codec avc1
    audio codec dts 6 channel 48000Hz

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

If I had to guess, I would say your hard drive is the problem b/c it's slow and the file is probably fragmented. Combine those two and the computer has a hard time getting the pieces of the file into VLC fast enough.

I use a program called idefrag to keep my volume with my HD movies all tight and clean. This may turn into a giant defragging debate, so let me preempt that and give you the truth on defragging: Generally not needed, unless you're in a situation like you are (or you're a geek that wants every millisecond of performance)

Before defragging, you may be able to test the theory by burning the file to a DVD (as data) and trying to play off of that, or if you have a 4 or 8 gig ipod nano around, clean out the music and try to play the file off of that.

I guess the first question I should have asked is does it always happen with every HD movie you're watching or just this one, and does it always happen at the same spot in the troublesome movie? If it's the former, then I'm probably wrong, if it's the latter, I'm probably right.

Good luck.

3. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

it does it at different spots so its not the video. i downloaded idefrage i think it would work but first im going to try to stream over network to see if that helps if no then i will try idefrag. thanks for the suggestion though, and i believe you are correct in your diagnostic.

4. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

just an update incase anyone runs into this problem. i put the movie on a external usb hard drive and played it back without problem. this means that Schroedinger was correct when he stated it was probably my hard drive. so there is the solution.