PlayBook finally came out, but what about apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by walkie, Apr 16, 2011.

1. walkie macrumors 6502

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

My opinion = Could care less. And I think that will be a prevalent opinion amoung 99.9% of the populous. I'll be surprised if it sells 100,000 units to consumers. (Not including those businesses that will likely buy these things simply because they are dependent upon BB phones.)

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

What did you expect? It doesn't even have email.

4. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Though the Blackberry Bridge is pretty cool

5. BergerFan, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Sorry. :D

When you hear 'BlackBerry' what's the first things that spring to mind?
    For me, it's email and BBM.
    RIM should have ensured that those default features, at least, worked perfectly, out of the box.
    It's like Apple Launching the ipad, but saying: "There's no iPod and video player, right now. They're coming in the summer."

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

^^^ Yes, "couldn't" care less.

Although, if I did care, I "could" care less than I do, but since I don't, I can't. :D

7. cube macrumors G5

I'll be interested in a QNX smartphone. And I want Java SE on it.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think the playbook might become a decent iPad alternative in a few months once RIM has done these things:

1. Added a native email client, calendar, and contacts app (with sync to at least Google services)
    2. Added Android app support (Instantly gives them a lot of apps)
    3. Released their NDK (Only so much is possible with Flex and javascript...)

Unfortunately they don't have any of these at launch, so pretty much their main audience will be people who love their blackberries, which is a diminishing crowd.

With them they will probably carve out a small market share over the next year or so.

Also, it doesn't come out until Monday.

9. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who's not so fussed about having email on a tablet? I always have my phone with me so end up seeing my emails there first. It's honestly not been a large part of the iPad experience for me.

Not that it shouldn't have been included - but in practical use it might not end up such a huge deal for everyone...and if your work depends on emails chances are greater you have a BB anyway.

10. cube macrumors G5

Of course it's HUGE not having email on a tablet.

11. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Can I get a +1 for quoting the best part of the article

"Remember, the primary competition is an iPad — the same price, but much thinner, much bigger screen and a library of 300,000 apps. In that light, does it make sense to buy a fledgling tablet with no built-in e-mail or calendar, no cellular connection, no videochat, Skype, no Notes app, no GPS app, no videochat, no Pandora radio and no Angry Birds"

12. Smoothness macrumors regular

No tv spots,only reason I know about the plqybook is becuz I frequent forums and compmsites...what about general populous

13. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Wow, what does it have then... ?

14. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Web browser? On and Off button? A complementary built in battery?

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

When Apple released iOS 2.0 and the iPhone 3G, the App Store opened with only 500 apps, and when the iPad was released last year it opened with 1,000 apps made specifically for the iPad and the Xoom apparently launched with only 17 (or less than a 100) apps made specifically for the tablet. I read somewhere that the PlayBook is going to launch with 3,400 apps next week. I don't see what the issue is here (you can't honestly expect a new device to launch with 300,000 apps at launch).

Apple just released an Ad for the iPad 2 on April 2nd, 3 weeks after the March 11th launch.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/02/apple-releases-we-believe-commercial-for-ipad-2/

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

People cite 3rd-party apps, as a main reason for a device's success or failure, but if companies can nail their 1st-party apps(as well as hardware, etc), then the rest will surely come.
    I use Safari, Mail, YouTube, iPod, etc, significantly more often than any 3rd-party app on my iDevices.
    In my opinion it's the fact that these core apps work so well, out of the box, that makes the iPad so good and compelling.

17. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Another "let's find something to bash thread", so we can get our aggressions out, and pump up our egos.

Mac Evangelists are the most insecure users of all.