Playbook or PSP for 3 year old

Discussion in 'iPad' started by falconeight, Apr 14, 2011.

1. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I wan't to get something portable for my son so he can watch movies and play games. The playbook seems great for that. It doesnt have anything complicated like email, calendars, im apps, or contacts. He really doesn't need all that stuff. The only problem is that a psp can do that for over half the price....I think I will get him a psp, it has better games.

2. barryst macrumors regular

3. profets macrumors 68040

This was my first thought as well. My 3 year old loves playing with an iPhone and iPad. I find it awesome that there's great educational apps for kids too.

4. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Playbook for a 3 year old???? I'd much rather get him a really cheap Android tablet or a used iPod Touch.

5. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Wait so you don't want us to respond? :D
    I was going to suggest a iPod touch since you can put books on it and he can read and play games. I would mostly make him read and maybe watch some wiggles :p

6. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I'd say iPod Touch too. It's easy to use, my nephew could use an iPhone at 2 years old. The games are simple on the iPod touch and there isn't much need for him to have buttons.

Playbook is too expensive in my mind and the physical media on a PSP is too much of a risk to break (along with buttons which can get jammed up with crumbs)...

7. lehite, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

lehite macrumors newbie

lehite

I suggest some toy trains, a soccer ball, or books.

Edit: I'm not implying that exposure to technology or video games is wrong or bad. I do, however, think that it is important to limit screen time and encourage other activities. My two and a half year old son is allowed to use an ipod touch occasionally for videos and games, but I like it a lot more when he is playing with his trains and cars or is playing outside - He seems a lot happier.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seems that you didn't read any of the reviews for the playbook.

Get a first gen iPad if you want tablet.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

this.

start him off on luxury tech toys and you will be raising one expensive kid. there's no where to go but up.

my kid will be getting a nice big stick and maybe some clay.

10. harpy macrumors member

I'd go with neither. Face to face socialization at that age is vital for healthy development.

Just FYI, but there is a lot of research that shows that screen time needs to be minimized. The younger the child the greater the reduction is called for.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/children-and-tv/MY00522

11. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I gave my son an older ipod touch I had, but he likes the ipad better...he is only barely 2 but knows the difference..the educational games are great, his vocabulary is much higher than any other kid in his daycare class and I think its because of all the repetitive games he plays. I do limit his time to only about 30 min a day, the rest of the time is for his toys and outside time....

Beyond all the Elmo and popular Duck and Moose games he plays, his favorite is Stupid Zombies....incredibly, without knowing what he is doing, he is on level 24.....HA

12. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

uhh...good ole parenting and a leapfrog leap pad. Why in the world would they want or need a psp? My 6 year old nephew wants a psp, I told him to keep dreaming. For one, I'm not made of money and two, you're gonna rot your brain playing that crap so early in your life.

13. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

When I was playing with my family PC back in the days, some of my old relatives were grumbling "Kids these days playing with expensive toys, what will this world become." Looking back I think it was great that I had exposure to tech stuff early on as it really helped me become more efficient in school and at work.

As long as the parents make sure the kids don't get too addicted to playing with the machine, I don't see what's so bad about kids playing with an iPad. In the future it won't be luxury but just another common educational tool.

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

Yes, this. This is a crucial time in a child's development; TV/screens are nowhere near as useful as productive play and physical engagement with the world. It's not like when he's grown he's going to say "I wish I had earlier exposure to tech, say when I literally had only existed for thirty-six months, but now I can't handle this computer."

Seriously, a PSP ('because it has better games') or a Playbook for a three year old? This has got to be a joke.

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1. At this rate you'll be getting him/her an iPad 3 for preschool graduation, an iAwesome for elementary graduation, and Apple stock for middle school. And to end it nicely, an iOrgasm for high school graduation.

16. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I let my 3 year old nephew use my iPad every once in a while. He really enjoys Monkey Preschool Lunchbox and the Toy Story "Read to Me." However, with that said, I do not believe a 3 year old child needs an iPad or an iPod of their own. Let them use yours on occasion, but buy them real toys.

17. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

A PSP or Playbook is overkill, but I disagree with the people who say technology is bad for kids. I spent a couple of hours a day playing somewhat educational computer games when I was 3 and 4, and it gave me a lifelong love of and familiarity with computers and technology, without preventing me from being active and doing all the other things young kids do.

18. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

This is a joke right? :rolleyes:

19. Carouser macrumors 65816

Did those computers teach you about a sample count of 1?

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

My boyfriend has been using computers since he was a kid. Very early on he started to learn how to program by himself. He now works for a big tech company and gets other job offers almost everyday and he's only 21.

Similar situation with me. I've been using computers since I was 3. While not nearly as successful as my boyfriend I also have a job I absolutely love that I wouldn't have if I wasn't so used to dealing with computers and software.

Being exposed to tech can be bad. It can also be a good thing.

21. goMac macrumors 603

What? The Playbook has all those things, and an extremely small game library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYZDl4RNEVE

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Despite the totally inappropriate name, the PlayBook, isn't a toy. The obvious choice here for a 3-year old, is the iPod touch. You can disable all the apps and/or features you desire on it.

23. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Where exactly did the OP say, "I'm going to dispose all of my kids toys and stop interacting with him, so I need to get him something portable to play games and watch movies?". Ever heard of well rounded or balanced?

OP, ignore these doomsayers and listen to the more sane recommendations suggesting there is nothing wrong with a young child being exposed to technology as long as it's part of a well rounded, balance lifestyle. As long as their use is monitored and managed by the parents, they can in fact be great learning tools. Do you people even have kids? Mine started having computer classes in preschool when they were 3 hrs old--to ignore exposing your kids to technology is actually doing them a disservice and will put them at a disadvantage when the time comes that you feel they are finally old enough to interact with any sort of technology. Do you think the extent to which technology permeates our everyday lives is going to diminish in the near future?

And FWIW, my two oldest got they're first iPod Touches (8 GB refurbs) when they were four and five respectively and I definitely recommend this route. As others have advised, there are tons of great preschool and education apps in addition to age appropriate games, all for far less than you'll spend on games on any other system. Both previously had Leapsters but quickly tired of them and games cost significantly more. In fact, the fact they they are reading and doing math at higher rates than their respective grade level is in some part attributed to the learning games and interactive books they spent tons of time using. Just because the numbers and letters are on an LCD screen rather than a piece of paper doesn't make it any less valuable. My two year old learned learned much of his ABCs using a few different apps on my iPad.

And contrary to some people's opinions here, my kids are doing just great--both older kids play multiple sports, take piano lessons, are doing great in school and love to spend tons of time just being kids.

Sorry, rant over.

24. Carouser macrumors 65816

Playbook or a PSP (for the games) is not well-rounded balanced exposure for a 3-year old. I didn't realize having kids gave one expertise in child development, who knew.

No, because skill acquisition in children doesn't work like this and it's not like the age of 3 is some crucial window where if you miss it you will be stumped with computers forever or even behind anyone else. Do you know anything about the research on child development, skill acquisition, and use of 'technology'? How do you know the Playbook or the PSP is a good way to introduce children to computing?

Just because you attributed that relationship doesn't make it so.

I accept your apology, it's too rare to encounter people taking responsibility for their mistakes.

25. diacritic macrumors regular

My three-year-old daughter loves playing the educational games on the ipad 2. It's fun, interactive (between her and the ipad and among her-me-and the ipad), and if she is having fun she is learning.

Having said that, even though I spent probably $60 on education apps, the ipad is strictly an every-third-night treat. The other days it's books or songs. If she asks for it other nights the answer is "daddy forgot it at the office"; if she sees it and wants it, it's "the battery needs charging now." But she clearly understands when daddy needs it for work.