Playbook vs iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LinMac, Nov 16, 2010.

1. LinMac macrumors 65816

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/blackberry-playbook-and-ipad-go-head-to-head-in-a-browsing-showd/

That is a pretty substantial difference. You'll notice the Flash on the Playbook being very choppy and not very smooch (sucks to be Adobe), but the speed that it renders pages and the javascript/html5 test results are amazing.

Hooray for competition. Now maybe we'll see better performance from Mobile Safari (snappier anybody?).

Full disclosure: I own a 64GB iPad WIFI+3G and would never be caught dead with anything from RIM.

2. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I read that and watched up to the point where they load the first webpage (UEFA.com). I then grabbed my iPad and started the test at the same time... And my iPad loaded quicker than the one they were using. So just bear that in mind. Granted it didn't beat the Playbook, but still...the iPad they were using was unusually slow.

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

It is impressive, but I think the priority for RIM should be in confirming a price and availability date rather than releasing videos of a yet to be released device compared to a device that is well in a mid-cycle.

For the record, I can see the appeal of a 7" device for some people, but this video makes it clear that they are not in the same class of device.

4. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Also, it's dual core so of course it will load quicker.

5. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Two things:

1) This is a promotional video by RIM putting their product against the biggest competitor. Of COURSE they'll do everything they can to weight the tests towards the playbook.

2) The playbook is a device running hardware that's still several months away from hitting the market. By the time it does we'll be seeing other tablets (possibly including the iPad 2) running equivalent processor, memory, GPU etc.

Put those two facts together and we really need to get hands-on with both the playbook AND its competitors at the time of release in order to get a realistic idea of relative performance.

6. fizzwinkus, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

the ipad has been selling since april 2010. the playbook is "set" for early 2011. if only all companies could compare their products to the competition of last year.

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

That iPad WAS unusually slow and someone needs to tell blackberry their competition isn't the iPad. It's the iPad 2.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's a classic error. I have my story of a friend who bought the original iMac on my recommendation and loved it. A few years later she told me she bought a new PC because "it was so much faster than my iMac." I pointed out that all computers improved over that three-year period and a current-vintage iMac would also be faster than her 3-year-old iMac. She looked confused.

9. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

What do you think the should compare it to? You think Apple will lose or loan them the next gen iPad which will proabably ship at the same time for them to compare with??? :D

10. hitekalex, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

At the end of the day - this is still a Blackberry.. So what you will get is - feature-set focused around enterprise requirements, which was relevant maybe 5 years ago.. Developer ecosystem that's an afterthought, compared to iOS and Android.. Lack of top qualify 3rd party apps..

Oh but it runs Flash.. I think I will take a pass.

11. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. The headline should read "RIM's yet to be released product will run faster than the product Apple released nearly a year ago."

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Good job Rim. Now, give me 10 hours of battery life like iPad and I will think about buying one.
    Also, don't forget to have at least 25000 apps at launch to compete with iPad. Also, it is 7 inch screen, so don't play games with pricing like Galaxy Tab. The price should be 399 dollars with no contract.

Then we have a deal.

13. BC2009, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010

BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

Playbook outperforming iPad in RIM Test Video

All Things Digital reports on a video released by RIM showing the Playbook outperforming the iPad on Web browsing. Specifically they show Flash performance, HTML-5 animation performance, and overall page rendering.

Pretty impressive -- sure would like to get my hands on a Playbook to test it in the real world and outside their labs.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Few issues with this thread...

1. Don't believe everything u see. Rim made this video, so it's obvious that they are going to make sure Playbook is going to win.

2. For portable devices, it is just as important to think about battery life. All of this can be accomplished with 10 hours of battery life?

3. Playbook has not been released and iPad 2 is around the corner with the release of playbook.

15. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

7-inch screens on a tablet are a bad idea that will die out quickly. RIM is making the classic mistake of thinking that if they can do bullet-point marketing, people will buy their product.

16. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

RIM: 'no need' for native apps

That is what Apple thought 3+ years ago. If they are not planning on native apps, then most will see this as a DOA product.

17. vant macrumors 65816

Uh, no GPS?

Thats what I use the iPad for at least half the time.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's a curious stance for a device without 3G connectivity (yes, I know you can tether it to a BlackBerry for Internet). Here's to hoping that Internet will soon be a standard feature on all flights.

19. samab macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter --- as long as it gets the location information from somewhere else. Just look at the Verizon ipad/mifi combo, you can get location data on it even though wifi ipad doesn't have gps.

20. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

I love this video. It's very good.

Apple needs to realize that the browsing on iPad is still shoddy (not talking about Flash). There is definitely a lot missing from the experience, from the constant reloads, inability to handle a lot of pages or the refresh button instantly, inability to remember where it is in a page, really poorly implemented tabbing.

It is not the most pleasant experience.. I do love my iPad, but the stock browser continues to disappoint - it's like the black cloud over the whole experience for me.

21. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

There are other factors to consider. Wifi is not constant in any given places. I got 12 Mbps service but it various < 1 Mbps to 12 Mbps. My internet provider seems to be throttling service at certain times. Plus, some websites do get a lot of hits. Some sites don't have the servers like engadget. Also, iPad does not support certain java.

The video seemed to be phoney. I don't see a bar going across that web browser on the playbook. I tried my iPad too along the video. My beat that iPad as well. So, the websites either had certain java not supported or those two devices are not in the same place. The video is pasted. I think.

22. Pinger macrumors regular

Nothing more needs to be said.....

PS: put dual core on my wish list for iPad gen. 2:)

23. unixfool macrumors 6502a

So that they don't shoot themselves in the foot, they should be aiming at what will/could exist on the market when it is released, not NOW. They're comparing it with the iPad...by the time it is released, the iPad will not be on the cutting edge. In this case, it is better not to compare it with anything else...just establish goals and meet them.

24. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

So it looks like the internet is the only thing benifiting from the dual core. The UI still looks choppy as hell. All the second video showed was scrolling through apps and backgrounded apps and it still wasn't as smooth as the iPad. The first video it seemed that the BBC video they were watching didn't stop or pause when they went to switch tasks. I don't see that as a good thing. If I'm switching to a new task i would want my streaming video to pause until i finished.