Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's news of the death of Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, Cult of Mac chose to highlight the magazine's 1985 Steve Jobs interview, which still remains one of the most insightful reads about the early life and influences of the late Apple co-founder.

Steve-Jobs-garage-800x413.jpg

Quite apart from its centerfolds, Playboy magazine built an enviable literary legacy and earned a reputation for serious journalism in its 60-plus years, carrying interviews with such notable figures as Martin Luther King Jr, Stanley Kubrick, Bette Davis, and Miles Davis.

The year that Jobs was forced out of Apple and started NeXT Computer, he sat down with the magazine to share his enthusiasm for computers, his hopes for the future, and the early days of the internet. The interview was conducted by David Sheff. Some choice quotes appear below, but you can read the full interview here.

Steve Jobs on losing $250,000,000 in one year on the stock market:
I'm not going to let it ruin my life. Isn't it kind of funny? You know, my main reaction to this money thing is that it's humorous, all the attention to it, because it's hardly the most insightful or valuable thing that's happened to me in the past ten years. But it makes me feel old, sometimes, when I speak at a campus and I find that what students are most in awe of is the fact that I'm a millionaire.

When I went to school, it was right after the Sixties and before this general wave of practical purposefulness had set in. Now students aren't even thinking in idealistic terms, or at least nowhere near as much. They certainly are not letting any of the philosophical issues of the day take up too much of their time as they study their business majors. The idealistic wind of the Sixties was still at our backs, though, and most of the people I know who are my age have that engrained in them forever.
On his relationship with Steve Wozniak in 70s California:
I think Woz was in a world that nobody understood. No one shared his interests, and he was a little ahead of his time. It was very lonely for him. He's driven from inner sights rather than external expectations of him, so he survived OK. Woz and I are different in most ways, but there are some ways in which we're the same, and we're very close in those ways. We're sort of like two planets in their own orbits that every so often intersect. It wasn't just computers, either. Woz and I very much liked Bob Dylan's poetry, and we spent a lot of time thinking about a lot of that stuff. This was California. You could get LSD fresh made from Stanford. You could sleep on the beach at night with your girlfriend. California has a sense of experimentation and a sense of openness--openness to new possibilities.
On the problem of new technologies overtaking the old:
That's inevitably what happens. That's why I think death is the most wonderful invention of life. It purges the system of these old models that are obsolete. I think that's one of Apple's challenges, really. When two young people walk in with the next thing, are we going to embrace it and say this is fantastic? Are we going to be willing to drop our models, or are we going to explain it away? I think we'll do better, because we're completely aware of it and we make it a priority.
On why people will buy computers in the future:
The most compelling reason for most people to buy a computer for the home will be to link it into a nationwide communications network. We're just in the beginning stages of what will be a truly remarkable breakthrough for most people -- as remarkable as the telephone.

Article Link: Playboy's 1985 Interview With Steve Jobs is Well Worth a Read

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
“The most compelling reason for most people to buy a computer for the home will be to link it into a nationwide communications network. We're just in the beginning stages of what will be a truly remarkable breakthrough for most people — as remarkable as the telephone.”

In 1985...

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
“The most compelling reason for most people to buy a computer for the home will be to link it into a nationwide communications network. We're just in the beginning stages of what will be a truly remarkable breakthrough for most people — as remarkable as the telephone.”

In 1985...

That was almost already in place in the form of the Minitel in Europe:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
That's inevitably what happens. That's why I think death is the most wonderful invention of life. It purges the system of these old models that are obsolete. I think that's one of Apple's challenges, really.

Well, let' see, how long Tim Cook's direction will work.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Say what you will about the man, you can’t argue he had vision. This is more true now than ever.

Jobs: The developments will be in making the products more and more portable, networking them, getting out laser printers, getting out shared data bases, getting out more communications ability, maybe the merging of the telephone and the personal computer.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
"The most compelling reason for most people to buy a computer for the home will be to link it into a nationwide communications network. We're just in the beginning stages of what will be a truly remarkable breakthrough for most people — as remarkable as the telephone"

I wonder if he realised he would be *the* person to meaningfully bring those 2 technologies together

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Never knew they interviewed him and wrote an article. (What do you call clickbate when it's on paper?) Is this the whole interview on MR? Guess I'll never know. NeXT...
[doublepost=1506681774][/doublepost]
"The most compelling reason for most people to buy a computer for the home will be to link it into a nationwide communications network. We're just in the beginning stages of what will be a truly remarkable breakthrough for most people — as remarkable as the telephone"

I wonder if he realised he would be *the* person to meaningfully bring those 2 technologies together

He must have heard Arthur C Clarke speak about this back in '64 as a kid and believed him.

Last edited:

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007

In 1985...
He wasn't the only one with that kind of vision; Sun Microsystems' tagline back then was "The Network is the Computer", for example. (And they were a whisker away from buying Apple in the 90's... fascinating to think how that might have turned out for both parties.)
[doublepost=1506683702][/doublepost]
Read and playboy doesn’t seem to belong in the same sentence.
Actually, in those days, it really did. There were a ton of good articles and short stories (not that kind) in Playboy back then.

Reactions: kdarling

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
That's inevitably what happens. That's why I think death is the most wonderful invention of life. It purges the system of these old models that are obsolete. I think that's one of Apple's challenges, really.

Well, let' see, how long Tim Cook's direction will work.

Serious question: What is Tim Cook’s direction for Apple?

Under Cook’s tenure we’ve seen thinner devices, the Mac as a second-class citizen, plugs on the bottom of mice, a lineup that still isn’t full Retina, and notches sold as design.

Has Cook ever laid out a strategy like the digital hub? Or done a business-case introduction for a new product like the original iPod?

Has Cook ever shown killer use-cases for Apple products or have all his pitches ended in “we can’t wait to see what you do with it” (i.e. no real use-case)? What is his vision? Is he positioning Apple to be somewhere specific, or just rolling with mostly iterative updates?

It’s not practical to expect Cook to be like Jobs, but I don’t think the guy has any vision or roadmap. A great bean-counter, but a horrible leader.

Last edited:

nextuser

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
Jobs: That’s simply untrue. As soon as we can lower prices, we do. It’s true that our computers are less expensive today than they were a few years ago, or even last year. But that’s also true of the IBM PC. Our goal is to get computers out to tens of millions of people, and the cheaper we can make them, the easier it’s going to be to do that. I’d love it if Macintosh cost $1000.

Cook: The next iPhone will cost $1000*. Pray I don't raise it further

* $2000 in Australia

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Amazing insights by Jobs in 1985.

He wasn't the only one with that kind of vision; Sun Microsystems' tagline back then was "The Network is the Computer", for example. (And they were a whisker away from buying Apple in the 90's... fascinating to think how that might have turned out for both parties.....

Would have to guess Apple (just like Sun) would be gone at this point managed (for increased profits) into the ground...they certainly wouldn't have hired Jobs back.

My guess is Apple is in about as good a place as it could have been - it needed Jobs to go out into the world with Next and Pixar and struggle and then come back. JMHO...

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Jobs: As soon as we can lower prices, we do.

Cook: The next iPhone will cost $1000. Pray I don't raise it further

Have to keep those profit margins.

I’d also add, has a release under Tim ever been delayed for QA reasons, or simply production reasons?

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
“We’re living in the wake of the petrochemical revolution of 100 years ago. The petrochemical revolution gave us free energy—free mechanical energy, in this case. It changed the texture of society in most ways. This revolution, the information revolution, is a revolution of free energy as well, but of another kind: free intellectual energy.”

I remember a Jobs-hating writer back then saying how stupid, presumptuous, and vapid that was. Funny that I don't remember today who that writer was, nor do I care. Steve Jobs, on the other hand, I miss just about every day.

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Serious question: What is Tim Cook’s direction for Apple?

Under Cook’s tenure we’ve seen thinner devices, the Mac as a second-class citizen, plugs on the bottom of mice, a lineup that still isn’t full Retina, and notches sold as design.

Has Cook ever laid out a strategy like the digital hub? Or done a business-case introduction for a new product like the original iPod?

Has Cook ever shown killer use-cases for Apple products or have all his pitches ended in “we can’t wait to see what you do with it” (i.e. no real use-case)? What is his vision? Is he positioning Apple to be somewhere specific, or just rolling with mostly iterative updates?

It’s not practical to expect Cook to be like Jobs, but I don’t think the guy has any vision or roadmap. A great bean-counter, but a horrible leader.

In fairness to Cook he is doing what any accountant would do when put in his position.

For years people joked that Apple could stop updating laptops, put inferior equipment inside computers and then increase prices (as Cook did with the Mac Mini), double the price of accessories and just generally go mad with the money gouging and the Apple faithful would eat it up. Well Cook has put that into practice in a huge way and I suppose one must concede that he has been successful in the short term. Apple makes more money under Cook than it did under Jobs. A warning from history though, many forget that in the 80s after Jobs was forced out Apple actually went on to make higher profits raising prices and cutting development.

We must simply accept that Jobs was a one off. It's extremely rare to have someone with ideals get anywhere in business. And Cook is not his own man, he has to answer to the board and he will care what investors think. He didn't create Apple, he can't have Jobs' independence. Again this isn't to knock Cook. If you put any accountant in that position he will do the same; he will ask "can we increase prices", "can we cut development costs", "can we use cheaper components", "can we make a shortcut here", "can we re-use this old design and production line" and then combine all that with a price increase etc etc. It's a pity but I think inevitable. In many respects they would be mad not to, it was just a unique situation we were in that when Jobs was in charge the underlying principle was making the absolute best products he could, under Cook, and likely whoever replaces him, the underlying principle is making the most money.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
February 1985 Playboy article said:
Jobs: The developments will be in making the products more and more portable, networking them, getting out laser printers, getting out shared data bases, getting out more communications ability, maybe the merging of the telephone and the personal computer.
It came true in 2008.

Jobs: Second and more important, we did not go IBM-compatible because of the product vision that drives this company. We think that computers are the most remarkable tools that humankind has ever come up with, and we think that people are basically tool users. So if we can just get lots of computers to lots of people, it will make some qualitative difference in the world. What we want to do at Apple is make computers into appliances and get them to tens of millions of people. That’s simply what we want to do. And we couldn’t do that with the current IBM-generation type of technology. So we had to do something different. That’s why we came up with the Macintosh.
What is the current combined installed base of iPhones and Macs now?

Jobs: You’re going to see the best-trained generation ever to go into politics. They’re going to know how to choose people, how to get things done, how to lead.
What a prescient commentary on the present . . .

Jobs: It’s a large responsibility to have more than you can spend in your lifetime—and I feel I have to spend it. If you die, you certainly don’t want to leave a large amount to your children. It will just ruin their lives. And if you die without kids, it will all go to the Government. Almost everyone would think that he could invest the money back into humanity in a much more astute way than the Government could. The challenges are to figure out how to live with it and to reinvest it back into the world, which means either giving it away or using it to express your concerns or values.
I have at least two ideas big enough and impactful enough for Apple to fulfil this vision of Steve's.

Last edited:
Reactions: extrachrispy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.