OS Neutral Playdead's Inside

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by garnerx, Jul 7, 2016.

1. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

Anyone tried Inside? I played it a couple of weeks ago on Xbox One, it's now available on Windows, and since it's the sequel to Limbo, it will probably eventually appear on pretty much every format that can handle it.

[​IMG]
    ^ It's a sort of 2D platform/puzzle game, although the puzzles are mostly quite simple. It's all about atmosphere, inventiveness and surprise.

[​IMG]
    ^ You play a boy who's running through the dark, away from some people and towards... something.

[​IMG]
    ^ Being pursued by dogs in the early stages of the game. I didn't want to post pictures from later on as it's only about four hours long and the less you know, the better it will be.

[​IMG]
    ^ There are no on screen displays, no menus or anything like that. It looks like a really grim Pixar cartoon, but for some reason it's much nicer in motion than in stills. The lighting is fantastic.

[​IMG]
    ^ It also has the best 'jumping into deep water' bubbles effect I've ever seen. Looks real. But, again, only in motion. Also, the last half hour or so is one of the greatest ending sequences I've seen in the 30+ years I've wasted on videogames, and I felt compelled to play through the whole thing again the next day just to prove to myself that it really did happen. Seriously, it's almost worth the price of admission for that alone.

Inside is currently heading for an obscenely huge metacritic score and no doubt a lot of game of the year awards, but for some reason only one other person on my Xbox friends list has played it.

Anyway, in case you hadn't heard of it, there you go. It's a work of art, I recommend it unreservedly.

2. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Basically Limbo Evolved, I gather. Which is not a bad thing.