Played around with 13" rMBP at Apple Store...disappointed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unobtainium, Oct 27, 2012.

1. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I was really impressed by the 15" rMBP, but I normally prefer a smaller laptop, so I was really looking forward to the 13" rMBP.

Today I got a chance to play around with it at the Apple Store, and I have to say, I was disappointed...The difference just really isn't as noticeable on the smaller screen. I have a 13" MBP now, and although I could see the difference, it didn't blow me away. Not like it did with the 15" rMBP. I also noticed that it was very stuttery when swiping between dashboard and the desktop.

Anyone else had a chance to play around with one and felt underwhelmed?

2. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

You don't have to get a new laptop every year. If it dosen't blow you away then don't buy one. I am getting mine Monday and can't wait. I have a mid 2010 13" pro now. I will come back and see if I was impressed. Hope I am

3. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Coming from a 2010 air it'll be interesting to see your verdict. From what I've seen, the 15" performs quite a bit worse than the current gen airs and classics, with notable stuttering when swiping desktops, which was also reported when eg using keynote. I wonder whether the retinas are on par with the (now) very weak 2010 notebooks or even worse...

4. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I ordered the i7 also. Idk if the one you used was an i5 or not. Idk how much a difference that makes

5. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

The price is obscene.

This was done so as not to disrupt sales of the extremely profitable 13" MacBook. With it's four year old design it most assuredly has a profit margin exceeding sixty percent.

Apple is looking forward to installing USB 4.0 jacks on it's "classic" MacBook Pro models a year after Windows laptops have the new standard. By then the profit margin on the "classic" will exceed 75%.

6. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Just got my 13" MacBook Pro , gotta say I love it so far! the screen is ridiculous! so amazing. As mentioned earlier , I got the i7 (don't know if that makes a HUGE difference) but its super fast on loading everything. Specially apps. it's great so far. Love the thinness of it too. Speakers sound so much better as well

7. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

any choppiness when switching desktops?

8. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

now that you mention it, I can only view the mission control . is there a setting or something I am missing?

9. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

Ah, you probably went from SL to ML? I'm in the same boat (but yet to receive the new machine) and I think they did something to spaces in the new version of the OS..

10. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

well mine was pre loaded with ML . I have ML on my iMac and it has desktops.. I doubt its the same but yeah just one desktop

11. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

You're saying the 15" rMBP performs (in all respects, presumably) worse than the 2010 machines? lolwut?

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's possible that this design will eventually filter down. I give it a couple years, but Apple has typically debuted the newest things at their top tier price points.

13. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Yes and no. I've been testing Retina MBPs for quite some time. Swiping Spaces sutters on all retina MBPs consistently, whether it's 13" or 15". There seems to be some very few frames missing near the end of the animation or as if it runs with a lower FPS, though the "speed" stays the same and it doesn't change productivity.

Someone said Keynote was also stuttering like that, which would have been a very clear indicator for how the GPU can't keep up with the requirements of the UI (which is different from processing power), as both Mission Control and Keynote 3D transitions should use the same technology. If this were the case, 2010 Macs would in fact be better -- again: in terms of UI performance.

Well, I tested Keynote yesterday and didn't see any stuttering, everything was super fluid, so that the only thing remains is the Mission Control stuttering. Thinking about it, it may be design, for example by Apple manually lowering the fps to save performance. I don't know.

It's only barely noticable and as long as it's not a general problem, I'm fine with it. I pulled the trigger and bought it: 13" rMBP, i7, 256 gb.