Played with ipad-beautiful but not until.....

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by needthephone, May 15, 2010.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I tried an ipad yesterday.

Yes its gorgeous, silky smooth so fast.

Browsing the web is incredible and it makes reading books and magazines a joy.

BUT I won't be getting one yet.

It just seems stifled like the original iphone was without full apps.

Remember the outcry and almost petition which resulted in the app store (well it looked like apple bowed to pressure and let people produce native apps rather than horrible web apps)

It just needs full phone functionality, texting and a front facing camera oh and multi tasking.

It is just so so portable and making calls on it would make sense.

apple probably don't want to canibilise sales but I think they will relent otherwise its just a seductive shiny toy and to be honest my iphone does everything I want. I would just like a bigger iphone AND a small one.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Awesome.

Enjoy waiting forever.

The iPad is not a giant iPhone.

Haven't you heard? It's a giant iPod touch.

iPod touches aren't able to make phonecalls.....:rolleyes:

3. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Ughh?? Yea, I want the iPad to my cellphone too. Some people amaze me. I want it to have a jet pack, Bowie knife and scuba gear for when I go to the amazon. I might have to wait for the third generation iPad, but I don't mine waiting.

NOT

Can we please make a troll forum section so these guys have a place to go?

4. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Out of all the blog posts I've read here where people thought their reason not to buy an iPad needed its own special thread, "I want the iPad to be a big phone" is one I've never seen before.

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yeah, I want mine to play flash so I can cook an egg on the back side...:rolleyes:

6. btrav13 macrumors 6502

OP: for as many of you there are, there's a matching one of me out there:

I DID NOT want it to replace my iPod touch, it's way to big

I DID NOT want it to be a phone, I like my Android and it's way to big

When I walked into the Apple store to consider buying, I wanted one thing and one thing only: I wanted to quit buying physical books. That's it. If the iBooks and Kindle apps met my expectations, then I was going to be a buyer. They did.

Since then, I have found some really cool stuff: AirVideo for one, that allows me to leave my MBP at home, and watch movies from the MBP on my iPad. Granted, I won't do this often, but they look a HELL of a lot better on my iPad than they do on my Android device. The web browsing is sooooo much nicer on the iPad with the larger screen than it is on my Android device or my iPod Touch. I've started taking notes on it, and have taken my leather-bound notebook (which was rather large) out of my work bag. In all, I wanted to buy a nice eReader...and I came out with quite a bit more.

Every passing day that I spend using AppAdvice or checking out this forum I find just one more cool thing that this eReader will do for me. My experience grows by the day and just reminds me why Apple is so badass....they make products that work well and do so much more than you thought they would when you pulled it out of the box and powered it on the first time.

7. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

I use an iPad to make phone calls, its called voip. iPad has a built-in mic, unlike iPod touch, so its not just a big iPod touch. :rolleyes:

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

This is where most miss the point. The iPad IS and CAN be just like a big iTouch. However an iTouch CAN'T be a small iPad :eek: since it can't run the over 5000 and counting iPad Apps. ;)

9. RebelRed macrumors member

And this belongs in a forum for 3rd party apps because?

10. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ Isn't it obvious?;)

Yes it is. Haven't you heard? It's what all the cool kids are saying.

BTW, you can use an iPod touch to make phone calls with VOIP as well.

11. jalpert macrumors 6502

Yah, the AppStore is the result of public outcry. No doubt apple whipped it up in a few months because they never do what they want as a company and always listen to the outcry. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

12. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

This is really funny. You miss the whole beautiful thing about the iPad. I guess you prefer watching a 13" tv over a 60? And people have no business going to a movie at the theater to see an awesome action flick on the big screen because their big screen at home is big enough?

Sure...an touch/iPhone is a great portable device...but if you think browsing the web on an iPhone at a restaurant or in the car or doctors office, or on duty, or in a meeting...places that a laptop would be odd just whip out a laptop, but that an ipad is perfect...then you didn't really give the iPad much of a try.

There are so many analogies that make you argument moot, it isn't even funny. Like one car over another car...why buy a more expensive one when a cheap and smaller one does exactly the same as a bigger more expensive one.

Or how about a house. I moved form a 1200 sq ft house to 2500...and there isn't a single thing different.

The iPad is indeed just an itouch...but it is 6x as big and that is huge!!