Playing a corrupt H.264 .mov file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by runplaysleeprun, Mar 20, 2010.

1. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Hello all,

I just recently got my hands on the Kodak Playsport waterproof 1080p shooting mini camcorder. Have pretty much loved the thing until this point.

I responded to a call to a pin-in accident yesterday with this little fellow strapped to my chest on my fire coat. It's the first time I've taken it on a run, and it turned out to be a pretty bad one. I hit record while on the truck enroute. We worked for about 35 minutes extricating the sole passenger, and when all was said and done, I returned to the truck and removed my camera. The record light was still on, the screen still showing a live preview, but the recorded time number had stopped at about 37 minutes. All the controls were unresponsive. Not even the power button worked. After about 5 minutes, I had no choice but to remove the battery to shut the camera off. I turned it back on, and was shown an exclamation point where the video I had just shot was. The video would not play. I removed the 8gb SD card and plugged it directly into my computer, and the file size of the last video shot was only 67MB, not nearly high enough for 37 minutes of 720p @ 60frames per second. I am still unable to get even that fragment to play.

Any ideas on how to either recover more of the movie from the SD card, if it is there (nothing more is shown in the finder, though), or how to get this fragment to play?

I've tried VLC with no luck, and File Juicer, Visualhub and iSquint to no avail.

Thanks guys. If I can get it to play, maybe I'll share the video with the MR community :)

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

mpeg stream clip has worked for corrupted files for me before, although I usually use VLC for things such as that, so if it can't run it then it is probably pretty messed up.

In terms of trying to recover more from the card I would give PhotoRec a go. It has been the best recovery tool that I have used.

You could always try using a Window Program to try and play the file. I have had some luck that way too.

3. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

mpeg stream unfortunately didn't work. I tried the PhotoRec, but I didn't seem to get anything I didn't already have. Thanks though, I'm going to hold on to that program, seems really handy.

I may jump over to a window's box at a friends house, any windows programs that might help?

4. metron3000 macrumors newbie

solution?

did you ever figure out how to recover the file?

i had the exact same thing happen to me this weekend and need to try to recover the file.