Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm trying to play a Video CD (VCD) on my Mac (OSX 10.9.5) and learnt that VLC Media Player can do it, but I must be doing something wrong as it doesn't work.

So, the CD is inserted and two separate CD icons are shown in the Finder: "Audio CD" and "Untitled". It's apparently a normal music CD which also has a Video CD section.
This rather old thread on the subject explains that I should choose "File"-"Open disc" and select the "VCD" button, but that button isn't available in the current VLC version which I just downloaded and installed (3.0.6).
Here's what it looks like here (after having selected "Untitled"):
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 12.10.53.png

I also read this VLC Wiki on the subject of VCDs but it more or less seems to do the same as is already shown above and I really can't figure it out from the menus. Suggestions?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If you click on the "open VIDEO_TS / BDMV folder", are there other options presented?

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
No, it only opens up the file selector, but no matter which folder I've opened on the CD it doesn't work (all the files within are greyed out -I don't know what VLC expects to find). I get cryptic error messages such as the ones shown here:

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 18.03.16.png

Last edited:

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I figured it out! :)
This link gave me a clue (open the file ending with .DAT located inside the MPEGAV folder on the Video CD disc).
Note: Quicktime Player refused to open the file as suggested in that link. It must have applied to earlier versions than the one which I'm using alongside OSX 10.9.5.

Unfortunately all files were greyed out using the "Open disc" method in VLC suggested everywhere, but I solved it using any of the following methods (provided VLC media player has already been installed):

a) in the OSX Finder: open the Video CD's MPEGAV folder, then right-click on the .DAT file, chosing VLC to open it

b) drag and drop the .DAT file over to the VLC dock-icon or VLC's window

c) in VLC: go to "File"-"Open file" and open the .DAT file

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.