Playing all videos in just one application

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andrema2, Jun 5, 2008.

1. andrema2 macrumors member

I'm new to Mac.

I've been looking for an application that could play all video types. VLC doesn't play rmvb.

I would like to make one of my Macs to become a Home Theater PC. But to use multiple applications doesn't seems nice.

Is there any application that could do it ? Converting is not a nice idea since it can take hours.

Thanks

2. The General macrumors 601

rmvb? You've got to be kidding me. :rolleyes:

What could you possibly have in that format? :rolleyes:

3. neven macrumors 6502a

I don't believe there's a single app or codec pack that will let you play everything including rmvb. Perian, the most popular codec pack, doesn't have support for it.

I hate to question what you do with your data, but rmvb is absolute garbage. You might as well be expecting support for WordStar files in iWork.

Just saying - you might be better off converting or getting your media in another format than seeking a good player for a bad format.

4. andrema2 thread starter macrumors member

I couldn't agree more that rmvb are garbage.

Nevertheless, is what we find "around". I hate it. Convert this garbage to whatever takes time and the quality is even worse.

I think that people on the internet should stop creating those files, but until then...

Windows has its quirks, but directshow in these cases are great. I'm using Kmplayer to play it. I haven't found anything like that to Mac.

Apple should do something about it. h.264 and mp4 are great but no one is using it on the internet. I do believe that the world drive the standards, as we say around here there a "de facto" standard out there and it is not Apple's ones. Be different sometimes is not so nice

5. cdlxxvi macrumors newbie

I would give MPlayer a try.
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/