Playing around with RMBP @Apple local store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sofianito, Jul 14, 2012.

1. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I am actually playing around with rMBP base model. Here are my first impressions:

* Indeed, the retina is gorgeous :), but there is too much light in the store and I am noticing the glare as if it were the classic glossy model. I wish I could test it in a more controlled environment.

* I have downloaded and tested Retina Display Manager. The HighDPI 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1900x1200 are fine, but the native 2880x1800 is too small to be practical, at least for me.

* Regarding the lag issue, I can reproduce it systematically by opening more than 12 safari windows, and display all Safari's windows. The lag is very noticeable in 1440x900, 1680x1050, and 1900x1200. With 20 or more Safari windows, I have seen the spinning wheel!. The lag disappeared when I switched to native resolution.

Cheers.

2. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Seriusly for the love of god, sfari has tabs. Who NEEDS to run over 20 safari windows? You guys need a super computer not a laptop.

I am running ML GM and would like to make it clear I get no scroll lag in safari also. This is with the scaled resolution that's one step up form best for retina.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

Queue in the usual responses and to save everyone from typing the same thing just pick a letter:

A) its running lion so of course there's lag. ML fixes everything!
    B) retail store displays have software that slow it down
    C) my RMBP is just perfect with no lag whatsoever so stop trolling!

4. katmeef macrumors 6502

All of the above lol

5. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

6. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Man, if you don't like what you read just move away and don't waste your time responding. This is a cool forum, and simple smartass posts like yours are not welcome!

7. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I think you are missing the part where EVERY day someone posts about how they played with a rmbp at the store and it was laggy and blah blah blah. Here is the simple facts, they are running software for kisk mode that slows them down. They may or may not be updated right. Lion 10.7 has been determined to be WAY mory buggy on a rmbp that Mountain Lion that will be out by end of the month, I would almost bet on next week when app store updates. You are also doing everything you can possibly think of to force the UI to become slow and unresponsive. Is this how you plan to spend your day? The last thing the forum needs is someone else posting a thread like this when we who actually own a RMBP can barely get a word in to explain how much better the situation actually is. This is not bad hardware design, It's simply old coding in the software that's finally being exposed by the demand of the display. End of story.

8. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Well, this is a forum, and people share here their opinion and experience whether they are redundant or not, you know what I mean?. If a retina fanboy or worshiper feels outraged because a non-retina owner confirmed how laggy it is under Lion, then it is his problem if he takes it personal. Nobody is obliged to read and/or respond to topics or posts he dislikes. Or maybe there are some Apple sales people infiltrated in here...

No one in this forum claimed that Apple HW is bad, but most agree it is expensive. Apple OS roots come from NeXT and has probably the best desktop system out there. I really hope all issues will be fixed in ML, else we will get a lot of suicide here...

As for my tests, what's wrong with them? I launched only 20 processes to check how it behaves in retina mode. The issue was not with Safari but with mission control when trying to view all application's windows. The same tests done in native resolution didn't provocate the lag! So it is not about the number of processes. The ivy bridge can handle much more than that. Also, it happens that in the Apple store where I have been, they have the cMBP 2.6ghz antiglare model. I did the same test and I didn't notice any lag. I hope ML will fix retina's issues and I hope that the spinning wheel is related to the "kiosk software".

Last but not least, we all are here in this life and forum to learn and share. There is no point in trying to be superior, sarcastic, or irrespectful toward the others.

@stevelam: I sincerly apologize for being rude with you. Don't take it personal. Sans rancune.

9. qpiqp macrumors member

I just tried to make mine lag via that method - and failed. That being said I have 16GB of ram. Whatever difference that may make..

10. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

None.

RAM has no effect whatsoever on that issue.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

^--- This. I've had mine since June 18th and the only lag I've ever seen is in pages actually downloading - same as I sometimes had before on a MacBook Air, still have on my Mac Mini and have had on all my Windows machines, iPhones and iPads.

12. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

I find certain sites to be worse than others. TheVerge is a good example of a website that is slow as molasses even on a high end discrete desktop GPU let alone a 650m.

13. zerotiu macrumors regular

I think we all should relax. What they wanted to say was : there are a lot of threads about this stuffs. There are people who have bought a retina and keep it ..also there are people who have tested in store. Why open a new thread while you can post your experience in other same topic. Anyway..

The main problem is the lag tolerance level. Maybe you are very sensitive about the lag, others don't. That's why there is an opinion crash like this. You too should realize that this problem in this thread can happen. So it is not their fault if they respond like that, you too should accept their opinion like you want them to accept yours.

About the lag, I believe that Apple can solve this and there are a few threads that discuss mountain lion has solved this problem. Facebook and the verge are lag anywhere you open them (a little bit stuttered for me). My tolerance for lag is quite high since I use a few old computers and macs.

14. Panini, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Panini macrumors regular

Clearly, he just used Safari as an example. Those 15 windows could be of any application. I know several times I run 10+ applications at once....And if you say nobody does that, doesn't it defeat the purpose of the 16GB ram upgrade?

As for my experience, I tried 1920 scaled (apple store) and it was laggy as hell. It took about 2 frames to go from the top of the apple page to the bottom. Nobody will say there wasn't lag. I asked the Genius there if it was normal and he said it is completely normal and pointed to the fine print under scaled resolutions that mentions that it may affect performance. Then he went on to computer 1920x1200x4 to show that 9 million pixels are being rendered in that mode, almost double of 2880x1800.

15. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

a+c

16. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

99% of Retina owners will never use 4GB of RAM.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Your statistics are flawed.

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

That is a very thoughtless assumption on your part. You have no idea what people are buying the MBPr or what they are using it for.

19. simplekid macrumors member

Well that is a ridiculous statement, i've used 10gig+ on fairly light workloads. ML loves to eat up that available RAM, throw in some Maya nDynamics and some high megapixel RAW images in PS and boom you'll soon have it paging out, so don't apply your facebook browsing workflow on a pro machine to everyone else.

I've got plenty open on my rMBP right now and its silky smooth, the whole lag issue has been blown out of proportion, virtually eveyone who *owns one* has no problems with it its only those who have been to an apple store/best buy who seem to think they're a genius by being able to reproduce some minor lag under silly conditions.

20. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I just tried a rMBP in the store too. Lag was not a deal breaker because *I* a) don't scroll up and down pages a lot without reading something slowing the whole scroll thing down. Scrolling rapidly just to see lag is not how I would use the system, and b), I guess I have a little more patience than most here. Then I went over to the cMBP with a hard drive. Now that's lag! I'll take scroll lag over beach balls any day.

21. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I have been using mine all night (base model) I have had constantly around 10-15 running apps/windows. Transferring gigs of files from one usb 3.0 drive to another. Transferring gigs worth of files from my NAS to my internal drive. multiple games downloading in steam. Basically just been throwing stuff at the machine non stop and using expose and mission control like crazy and never once have I had a single instance of lag on Mountain Lion GM. Even with 10+ tabs open in safari. Hell, I have not even heard my fan come on! This was on integrated Intel graphics by the way.

OP, give me a break. You did not confirm anything that tons of other people have not already pointed out about Lion on this machine. The reason people are getting so tired of this is because people like you read it all on here, rush to an apple store and "test it" for yourself. Then rush back to start a NEW thread on the same thing there are tons of other threads on already!