Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
dsc2306c9sw.jpg

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Not knowing anything about photography, but a little about my own perceptions of beauty, I think your pics are beautiful. A wondeful evocation -- of smoothness and of individuality (read: eros).

I like the detail in the first pic better, though I lose the sense of the "crush of the individual" that's so prevalent in the second pic (I don't know how to explain what I mean -- just the overwhelming sense of the individuality of everything -- of an encounter with the infinite, Emmanuel Levinas would say).

What's the surface in the second pic?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
thedude110 said:
Not knowing anything about photography, but a little about my own perceptions of beauty, I think your pics are beautiful. A wondeful evocation -- of smoothness and of individuality (read: eros).

I like the detail in the second pic better, though I lose the sense of the "crush of the individual" that's so prevalent in the first pic (I don't know how to explain what I mean -- just the overwhelming sense of the individuality of everything -- of an encounter with the infinite, Emmanuel Levinas would say).

What's the surface in the first pic?

Why, thank you!

In the first image the two pieces of fruit were positioned on a long piece of white paper which was serving as both backdrop and resting surface for them. The same two pieces of fruit were later positioned on top of a glass brick, adding an interesting element overall, with again the white paper serving as backdrop. The positioning of both pieces of fruit was deliberate in an attempt to create a different impact on the viewer. And, yes, that first image can be looked at in ways which can open up a viewer's imagination....

When I saw this fruit in the store I was immediately captivated by the shape, the color and the smoothness....

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
impressive

i do a little photography myself, and the second shot u posted is incredible!

your talented.

what camera did you use?

L

Lau

Love the first one - the shapes and colour are great.

(Was wondering what I'd find when I clicked on the thread title! :p )

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
devilot said:
I prefer the first one... they're kissing! :D
Well, that's one interpretation....

I love the pics as well, BTW. Excellent composition. Not a photography person myself, so "composition" might be the wrong word, but I like everything about the shots - the objects, their orientation, the backgrounds. Well done!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
marchcapital said:
i do a little photography myself, and the second shot u posted is incredible!

your talented.

what camera did you use?

Thank you! :) Camera is the Nikon D200 with a 105mm Macro lens, mounted on a tripod. The two pieces of fruit are yellow plums, and they were positioned on top of a glass brick. Lighting was from a Lowel Ego positioned on one side and a white reflector on the other side, with plain white paper serving as backdrop. All of this was set up on the dining table.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
devilot said:
I prefer the first one... they're kissing! :D

Aren't they sweeeet?!

When in front of a camera's lens fruits and vegetables can definitely take on a life and personality of their own and can be downright erotic.
Thanks, Lau! When I saw these yellow plums in the grocery store they immediately intrigued me and I knew I wanted to experiment with them. I buy fruit for its photographic possibilities rather than to bother eating it! One day I was in there carefully picking out lemons and the guy in the produce department kept insisting that I could get a WHOLE BAG for just "x" amount rather than selecting a few individually for that same cost. I decided not to confuse him by telling him that I was interested in them only for their photographic qualities and therefore they must be beautiful and perfect rather than simply edible. Quality vs quantity, doncha know...

Inspired by iCloud's lemons a few weeks ago, I've been enjoying getting back into tabletop photography, which I hadn't done in a long time.

Heh, yeah, probably should've been careful with my subject heading for the thread!

JSW: yes, "composition" is the right word. It is a critical element in a photograph and can make a huge difference. Everything else comes into play as well: color, contrast, emphasis on one thing as opposed to another, etc. Unlike many people on MR I'm not an artist nor especially creative, but I do like experimenting to see what I can do with a camera.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
What where your focal lengths for the two shots ?

Were they shots with a macro lens?

Ken

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Clix Pix said:
Yes, they were shot with the Nikon D200 and the Nikon 105mm Micro (Macro) f/2.8 lens. Don't have the exif info handy but I had the camera on the tripod and I think it was at around f/22.....

Very nice, I heard that Nikon is coming out with a new 105 maco with VR.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
kjs862 said:
Very nice, I heard that Nikon is coming out with a new 105 maco with VR.

Thanks! Yes, it should be available in stores in April, I think. Sounds as though it would be really great for those shots where a tripod just isn't feasible. Most good macro photography is done with the camera on tripod but there situations where you just can't use a tripod and have to hand-hold. More than likely that shot isn't going to come as crisp and sharp as one that was done with the camera stabilized on a tripod. It will be really interesting to see comments and reviews when this lens is in the hands of photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.