Playing AVCHD files directly on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Mar 17, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Like most other people I record HD video in AVCHD format (.mts file extensions).

What is the best way to import and play those files on the iPad without converting them to a different format?

2. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Does nobody run into this problem? What format do your cameras record in, if not AVCHD? I haven't seen a camera recording to a different format in years, hence am a little surprised about the lack of responses to my original question. Could anybody explain? Thanks!

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

The only thing I can say is to convert them. I can't even get iTunes to recognize the filetype.

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Convert them using what software and/or hardware?

6. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I take them into Avid and copy the entire file over into a timeline. I then go into the export menu and tell it to export for MPEG-4. On the version of AVID I'm using, there is an option for almost every filetype. I can even export it straight to the internet.

I know it's a kind of roundabout way to do it. But it's the only way I have found it to work on a PC. I'm not sure about Macs.

Attached Files:

7. MadAxeManUK macrumors newbie

ML: QT Player.

I have just done some conversions for a friend.
    1. Open the SD Card on Mountain Lion.
    2. The 'PRIVATE' folder shows as a QuickTime file; Double-click to launch the clip selector.
    3. Pick a clip, click Open.
    4. Export it back to the SD card in m4v format, put it in the photos (DCIM->100_Pana) folder, so that Photos App on iPad can find it.
    5. Eject the SD card.
    6. Done