Playing AVI & MP4 files on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tissue Paper, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Tissue Paper macrumors regular

Hello again,

I want to be able to play a few shows and movies (that I haven't purchased from iTunes) on my iPad. I was told I have to convert the episodes from avi to mp4 first and then iTunes will accept them. I already have a couple of mp4 videos so I tried throwing them into iTunes. It gave me a (+) sign which was a good sign that it was addable but then my iTunes freezes every time and it stays in loading status for a long long time until I shut the program down.

My computer is old so I dunno if that's the case or I'm doing something wrong. In any case, I have another Macbook that I don't use but it's a newer model.

Now the question is:

Is it possible to just log my iPad to the iTunes on that computer ONLY to add those episodes without ruining the content on my iPad or transferring the data there? I want to continue using my old computer to sync and only to add the episodes from the other laptop without ruining or conflicting any data.

Someone told me before that I can't sync my devices from two different computers.

Is this true?

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1, back in the pre-iOS5 times, SyncPod and FreeSync worked just fine for what you're looking for. Now they aren't.

2, you could switch to another media player to avoid having to struggle with the (pretty bad) synching restrictions of iTunes but transfer your files via iTunes File Sharing instead. Many of them would even play back your AVI files (assuming they aren't 1080p). If you are open to this, I'll post more info on them. (Please let us know whether you still would like to play back AVI's and if you do, what internal format they have - you could just post a MediaInfo screenshot so that I can quickly recommend a player for that particular format / config.)

3. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Goodplayer always you to transfer multiple movie formats to the iPad an play them. I'd recommend checking it out. I use all the time.