Playing back an HD iPhoto slideshow video - BD-P1500 or XBOX 360?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by spaceballl, May 19, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Playing back quicktime content on the XBOX 360.

Hi all,
    We're having a family event at our house in a couple weeks, and we would like to make a slideshow of photos (in 720P, of course) and have it looping on our 55" TV during the party. I have a Samsung BD-P1500, an XBOX 360, and a couple macs. I don't particularly want to hook a laptop up with a DVI-HDMI cable, but I know I can do that.

Rather, I'd like to make the HD slideshow, export it as a 720p file, and then play that somehow on the TV, either via the 360 or the Samsung Blu Ray player. I've done some searching, and i don't THINK I'll be able to drop a file on a DVD and have the Samsung Player just play it back.

However, it looks like the XBOX 360 can play H.264. Do I have to set up streaming? Or can I just put an H.264 file on a DVD and let it play that? I appreciate the responses - Thanks!

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I suggest you make a HD DVD (with toast). If I'm correct a blu-ray player will be able to read it. Make the movie in iMovie. But I think using the adapter will be easier.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmmm by "HD DVD" I'm guessing you are referring to a standard DVD being able to play HD content, not an actual HD-DVD right?

Would it not work to just drop a file on a blank DVD and have the XBOX play that?

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I have no idea what an xbox can do (I know you can play games on it). So I wouldn't know if the xbox can read and show pictures from a DVD. (maybe you should check an XBOX forum).

I think you get the point with the HD-DVD, but your what your saying is a little bit wrong (ok, I'm a little bit nagging). The DVD won't be able to play HD. It will be able to contain HD footage. playable on a Blu-ray player.

Yes, you are correct; I mean a normal DVD. Not the HD-DVD.

But as I said, I would use the converter. It's a lot less hassle. (besides, what's against using the laptop)

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

What is wrong? I understand that a DVD is standard definition, but high definition content can be placed on it - I belive you're wrong by referring to it as HD DVD, which is a discontinued optical disc format.

In any case, I found that XBOX can play an h.264 file. So I'll just make the movie in iMovie, export it, drop the file on a USB stick or CD/DVD, and then play it from the XBOX.