Playing Blu-ray in Mac OS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by julesmazur, Sep 30, 2011.

1. julesmazur macrumors newbie

I was wondering if there's any application which would run in Lion 10.7.1 and would allow my Mac to play back a Blu-ray movie.
    It's a 27" iMac (mid 2010) with an external Blu-ray drive. If the software is paid, price is not an option.
    Thanks in advance.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There is not a way to natively play blu ray discs on a Mac.

3. julesmazur thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, my friend, it seems that you've just been royally 1-up'd.

----------

@Ivan P
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!

4. SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

You need to do more research. If you look at the site one of the steps given to playing a Bluray on Mac is to select the "the output path where the disc is to be stored". In other words, the disc is going to be decrypted and then played back after ripping to your hard drive. You're not really playing a BD disc live at that point, but a folder of BDMV files. Also means you can't just pop a disc in and go. You'll have to wait for it to be ripped before viewing.

I'd be real wary of a company offering "Lifetime Verions" of software. That's a promise often broken assuming the company doesn't plan to disband in a couple years on their own anyway.

Edit: That also means alust2013 is technically still correct, there is no way to natively play Bluray discs on a Mac.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You also have to purchase an external blu-ray drive.

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

That app got a miserable review by MacWorld when it came out. Is it any better now?

7. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

Mac Blu-ray player works great

I have had no issues using Mac Blu-ray player. I use an MCE Technologies internal blu-ray drive on my Mac Pro and the software works flawlessly. Movies are awesome on my 30" Dell Ultra-sharp monitor. Fully functional and very quick access to the movie (faster than consumer player for an entertainment center).