Playing Civilization IV on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by masscub, Feb 26, 2011.

1. masscub macrumors member

Is there a way to play Civilization IV off the hard drive on a Mac? I put the Civilization IV folder on the hard drive but it still asks to insert the DVD. Playing this on a Macbook running 10.6.6.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's a real copy right? :cool:

You could try making an image of the disk and mounting it whenever you play so you don't have to use the CD.

3. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Don't bother, doesn't work with Civ 4. The only legal way to play Civ 4 without inserting the DVD is by using the Steam version.

4. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

If you have a legit copy, register it with Steam, then download the no-cd version from Steam and enjoy!!!!

Steam steam steam, in short.:D

5. eobet macrumors member

And if you get the anti-aliasing bugs, or mouse cursor disappearing after cmd-tabbing bugs, please write Aspyr support about it.

Steam is alive and well, and games on that service should be the same.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It works for the original distribution copy that was shipped on disc, but the newer versions don't support it. I've got my Civ_IV .cdr image on my desktop and used to play it without a disc all the time.

7. Princess Cake macrumors member

I agree with getting the Steam version, it's really cheap now. I got Civ IV, Warlords, and Beyond the Sword all for under $40 dollars.

8. Whiteacre macrumors newbie

There was a sale on Steam a couple weeks ago where you could get Civ IV, Warlords and Beyond the Sword for $8.

9. dmacd214 macrumors newbie

Question

SInce i saw Civ IV appear in the mac app store ive been wondering if i can play it.

I have a late '07 mb and all the specs match up except my video card. I have GMA X3100, and its not listed as a supported card.

WIll i be able to run civ?

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You can run it (I did on a GMA 950-equipped MacBook) but it won't be pretty or quick.

11. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I got Civ IV Complete (that's Civ IV, Warlords, BtS AND Colonization) for 10 euros (about 12 dollars) on Steam during a sale. Works like a charm...

12. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I got it for $7.50 over Christmas, great price, but I've only played it once :p

13. dmacd214 macrumors newbie

That good.. In your opinion was it worth the money? I only want it if it runs well enough to be enjoyable. i understand it wont be perfect but were you satisfied?

14. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Depends. I ran it on a PowerBook G4 and found it playable, but, I know it ran better on a PowerBook than some of those early MacBooks.

I'd say go for it, and, if you are really dying for better framerates it is SteamPlay compatible, so you can boot into Windows to get a few more frames per second as well.

15. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I bough Civ IV from Amazon when it first came out on disc for 40 dollars (early patch sucked), then went to steam to get the expansion and picked up Civ IV+Warlords+BtS+Colonization for $6.50 during 2010 december holidays. YAY!

The old un-patched version worked rather well on my '05 iMac G5 back in the day. So I see no reason why an '07 machine cannot handle it.

When I play the Steam version, now-a-days, on my '09 MBP, I am on near-max settings (note: turn off ANTI-ALIASING--- bug still remains) and on huge map + 19 civilizations with minimal waiting time in modern times.

In short, yes. It should work rather well for you.:)

16. dmacd214 macrumors newbie

Thats great! Thanks for the responses. I know what im downloading tomorrow... :D

17. zurichuk macrumors regular

The final 3.19 patch for Beyond the Sword, removed the CD check for a boxed copy for PC, did it not do the same for Mac?

Love this game, unfortunately most of the excellent mods are customized dll dependent and not ported over to the Mac, so this was the sole reason for using Bootcamp for me.