Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
My question is simple, how can i play .AVI files in front row?
or.. how can i play every video format in front row? right now i can only play .mov files i think, definatly not .avi files though....

So any help?

verozov

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2005
Columbia, SC
.avi files are pretty difficult to play even out of front row, it will usually take converting them to .mov files using something like 3ivx D4 (search on google) that way you could also play them on front row (otherwise you could download a free player like VLC Media Player.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Download VLC Media Player. I believe Front Row .avi files through VLC as well. I think that's how it works on my machine cause when I try to open .avi files in QT it tells me a plugin is missing.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I have VLC and the files show up in the front row menu when i am using it. BUT they wont play, it just plays a cblack screen. I can play them all fine with VLC but i kinda wanna use the remote....

So i short, i have VLC and movies that are .AVI and Front Row wont play them through VLC unless i have to do something special with it.

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
.AVI containers - they should have died a quick death long ago. The best way to accomplish what you want, rather than converting the source files, is to install the proper codecs so that those "AVIs" play native in Quicktime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.