Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dshootist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
i've recorded an episode from tv onto a Sony 120minute/4.7GB DVD-RW and was hoping to play it on my PB via either QuickTime or the DVD Player, but to no avail. what up wit dat? is there anything i can do to get the info transferred to a disc the PB can read? or am i stuck with just using the DVR it came from? :confused: i hope this is the right thread catagory; if not, Mods please post where applicable..

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
I've had the same problem with DVDs recorded in the O.R. and brought to me to be edited.

I found a Sony DVD/VCR that would play the disk. Sometime later I found an IBM laptop with a DVD/CDR that would paly it.

Anyone have a Mac solution?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
if you dont know what vlc is typeing it into google is not all that hard.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Hector said:
if you dont know what vlc is typeing it into google is not all that hard.

Deleted comments.

Sorry, didn't have my reading glasses on.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
VLC not VIC. Big difference. When you put in VLC you got only hits on the media player VLC. It is a great work around for playing movies that quicktime or DVD player refuse to play.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
yippy said:
VLC not VIC. Big difference. When you put in VLC you got only hits on the media player VLC. It is a great work around for playing movies that quicktime or DVD player refuse to play.

Yea, I caught that after I had hit the post button. I'm giving it a try. I've got to go find one of the old disk someone gave me a while back.

It seems pretty good so far.

dshootist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
VLC can't work if the machine doesn't recognize the disc...

it keeps asking if i want to initialize the DVD...:mad:

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
dshootist said:
it keeps asking if i want to initialize the DVD...:mad:

have you tried the disk on anthing else other than the original DVR?

I haven't used a DVD recorder so here's a question:

Do you have to finalize the Disk like you do with a DVD Camcorder?

Anyone?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Finalizing is automatically done on a computer. But it was done on a DVR, maybe you do need to finalize it.

It is possible it was just a bad burn and burning again would make it work.

That said, Apple drives have a bad habit of being picky about the quality of the media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.