Playing iPod through USB while NOT charging.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by reubs, Jul 18, 2007.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

Okay...here's the deal.

I've got a PC at the office, and I don't want to reformat my ipod to play on it, but I'm afraid I have to. Also, I like auto-updating and don't like to manual update, but that may be something I have to deal with.

Finally, I like my ipod to lose its WHOLE charge before charging it again, but this doesn't always work if I'm playing it through the USB. Is there a hack or something to make this not happen? Does any of that make sense?

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If your iPod is formatted for Mac and you want to use it on a PC then your best bet would be to reformat. If you automatically sync your tracks, then this shouldn't take long and won't be much of a hassle. Remember that a Mac can work properly with a PC-formatted iPod.

Why do you want to discharge your battery before each recharge? That just seems like a waste.

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I thought I read somewhere that the ipod has a maximum number of charges before it would no longer charge. For that reason, I don't like the idea of fully charging it it's it's only about 1/4 depleted. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I just don't want to max out the battery prematurely.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It is a maximum number of charge cycles, not simple charges. This means that if you charge up from 1/4 depleted, that is a 1/4 charge cycle. If you charge up from completely depleted, that is a whole charge cycle. No need to worry.