Playing iTunes from external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dtb419, Sep 14, 2011.

1. dtb419 macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my Tiger to Snow Leopard, and it's been working great.
    However, wanting more room on my internal hard drive, I want to access my Itunes library from my external hard drive.

When I'd gotten it, I'd simply dragged my music files onto it; but Itunes still wanted files played from the internal drive. Reading the forums I see that there's a relatively straightforward way to going about it, but my question is:

My Itunes library (100GB) is on my internal drive, and an exact copy is on the external drive. The language on the forums is that I redirect the location, and my music is "moved" to that location.

So should I should I delete my external drive's library because my original library will be "moved" to it? Or some other process.

Thanks for your help! It's very appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want iTunes to use the music on the external drive only, go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and point the iTunes Media folder location to the external drive. You can also split your library between the internal and external if you choose. If you don't want iTunes making duplicates of files you add to the library, go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck these boxes. Then you can manage your library yourself:
    iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG

3. Lowell62 macrumors newbie

I tried the above. Backed up my whole pc's hard drive to an external hard drive. Trying to run my iTunes on new MBP through this but it won't work. What could be the problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean "it won't work"? What happens?

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If you could post a screen shot of your setup, that might help us determine what's wrong.

Make sure you set iTunes to point to your library on the external drive now.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

IIRC, Windows and OS X use different iTunes library files. You may need to open iTunes in your MBP and drag the files from a Finder window into iTunes to build a new library.