Playing iTunes from external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macdent, Nov 9, 2008.

1. macdent macrumors newbie

To save some space on my laptop I have transferred my itunes to an external HD attached to my AP extreme/ TC. I have transferred OK but not sure how to remove the iTunes Library from my computer ( again to give me more disc space - I have 40+g) and then use the external drive to play my music over my network. Any help would be appreciated!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

How did you transfer the library over to an external drive and not know how to delete it from your Music folder on your Mac? If you launch iTunes with the option key held on your keyboard you can Choose the library on the AirPort disk which should begin to display all the different track in your Music Library. It will also save newly downloaded files from the iTunes Store to that designated location.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

There are a lot of ways to do this, but the easiest way is to goto preferences and change the library location to the external drive, and then goto advanced and consolidate library. This will move everything to the new drive. When it is done you can delete the original folder.