Playing iTunes on iBook through TV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bema2326, Nov 2, 2010.

1. bema2326 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I would like to play sound from by iBook (from iTunes) through my parents' TV (through the DVD player hooked up to it, which has the red, white and yellow RCA outlets).

I have read that you can use a 3.5mm jack to 3 RCA cable to watch video, but will the same work for just audio?

Or

Do I just plug a 3.5mm jack to 2 RCA cable (red and white) into the the red and white outlets?

So confused and grateful for any help.

I would prefer to avoid using Apple accessories if prrible just to avoid the cost.

Thanks all for your help. First time user, so please be nice ;)

B

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, the 3.5mm to RCA cable will work, though you should use on with only two RCA ends (white/black & red), as the yellow one is for video, which means another (third) black stripe on the 3.5mm plug, which might be problematic with the 3.5mm port on the iBook (if you mean the iBook computer).

Those 3.5mm to RCA audio cables should cost around 5€, more if you want it to be longer.

3. bema2326 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thank you so much Spinnerlys!

Just to make sure I have this correct:

* I can use a 3.5mm jack to 2 RCA plug like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1661DCD04KF8ESDAJM4N

* Plug the jack into my headphones socket on my laptop.

* Plug the red end or cord into red socket and white into white.

* Plug nothing into yellow.

Does that sound right?

You have alo answered my question about 3 vs 2 black stripes on the jack. I didn't know how a 3 stripped jack would fit into my headphones socket when my headphones only have 2 stripes.

All stupid questions, I know. But thanks for your help.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, that will work. As the yellow RCA plug is for video, you don't need it anyway.

At work I have to play edits onto DVD and often I have to replug the whole cables, and often only the sound is coming through to the DVD player due to the yellow cable not being connected. In other words, it will work.

5. bema2326 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are a champion, thanks so much for your help!

B :D