Playing iTunes on my stereo

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knownothing, Nov 19, 2008.

1. knownothing macrumors newbie

I want to be able to stream music from iTunes to my stereo amp. It doesn't matter to me if I can get it to the TV as well.

It looks like I could do this with Apple TV, but it seems like a lot to spend for just that feature.

Linksys has a "media extender" that I think could do it, but it doesn't seem to be compatible to mac.

I want to be able to do this wirelessly as I use a macbook.

Any thoughts?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Airport Express! :)

They're great. I have two dotted around the flat for streaming music here and there. So easy to use and fully integrated with iTunes.

Details

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Long @$$ wire.
    It's about 1/10th of the price.

Oh, oops, I guess that doesn't count as wireless now does it? :D
    In that case, Airport express makes everything super easy, and it is a portable wireless N router / print server. I guess that's a pretty good deal for $100...

5. knownothing thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I should've been more specific. The problem w/ airport express is (if understand correctly) that it doesn't have a 2 prong audio out that I can then use to hook it up to my stereo. If I get the type of wire that will do it, I feel like this will sacrifice quality. That's why I'm interested in finding an alternative solution.

Am I wrong?

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I would have thought if you got a decent cable, such as a cambridge audio one, then you would be Ok.