Playing MKV files on Ipad 3rd Gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by amitabhbansal, Mar 29, 2012.

1. amitabhbansal macrumors 6502

friends
    i have Airport Extreme Dual Band Base Station and connected a hard drive with it, in that hard drive there are many video files with various formats. In my iPad 2 and iPad 3rd Gen i am able to play the MP4 file from airport extreme base station hard drive, but not able to play MKV files, is there any option to do so?

2. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

3. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

This^

4. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Even better: Air Video.

I have been preaching this on a few forums now. Air Video lets you stream OR convert onto your iPad, iPod or iPhone AND also stream to ATV if you are using it.

I am currently watching several different anime with MKV and AVI format and it streams them from whatever hard drive I choose. I either watch it on my TV or my iPad.

The app costs 2.99 and the software that you install on your computer is free.

5. G77 macrumors regular

6. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I've been playing with Subler converter for the past week. http://code.google.com/p/subler/

Using Subler, it seems that most or all of any mkv folder can be changed into an m4v without actually having to convert the video - so most "conversions" only take less than five minutes. It also easily adds movie information and artwork. I'm a big fan.

**edit: Also, I like it because I'm able to rip DVDs to mkv using Handbrake and give those files selectable / soft subtitles, and then convert those mkvs to m4v to retain the soft subtitles. Before, if I was converting a DVD to m4v using Handbrake, I had to make the subs hardcoded (foreign films) if I wanted them.

7. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply, but in AVPLAYERHD and BUZZPLAYER description it is specified that i have to copy the MKV files to the ipad, whereas i wanted to play the video wirelessly from AEBS Hard Drive directly

8. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Then you need Air Video if you want to stream.

9. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

what is Air Video? is it any app?

10. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Yes

11. G77 macrumors regular

You can play shared files directly with BuzzPlayer (Samba or FTP). Also you can copy such shared files.

----------

For AirVideo you need running AirVideo server on computer. With Buzzplayer you can access files directly on shared harddrive via airport extreme.

12. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Yes you can find it at the App store.
    They do also make a free one but it limits you to the first 4 in each play list.
    You will also have to install a server app onto your local PC or Mac.

----------

Thanks I will have to take a closer look at it.

13. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Keep in mind you probably won't be able to play 1080p content on the iPad 3 via any third party app, as all of them afaik use the CPU to decode the video, not the GPU like with the supported formats. EDIT: In fact, I don't even know if supported formats are GPU accelerated in third party apps, or just in the videos app.

14. Bathplug macrumors 6502a