Playing MMORPG on windows VM

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by uaecasher, May 25, 2009.

1. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

hello,

I was wondering if we can play MMORPG on VM such as parallels.

I have tried using windows xp to run maplestory and windows kept crashing when game starts.

thank you

2. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Yes and No.

Yes. In theory you can run MMORPG's in VMFusion or Parallels.

No. They run awful IMO. Not just MMO's, any game for that matter. You shouldn't really use that stuff to run games, thats not what it is meant for.

In all seriousness, if you want to play games I suggest playing browser based ones or ones with MAC native apps. OR use boot camp and throw down XP/Vista/7 and do it that way. Personally I use boot camp but to each their own.

3. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I agree with you, but the reason i want to play it using VM is to open more than one account at the same time, I know it will take a lot of ram XD, I have the unibody MBP 2.4ghz and 4 GB ram and thinking of buying the 8-core MacPro and upgrade ram to 32GB

4. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

What MMO are we talking about exactly? Or is it just in general?

I still suggest native booting windows either way. Is it possible to run your games in a windowed state and have two different windows running?

If you are really intent on running them with VM your 4GB won't cut it I don't think. Think of it this way, you have 4GB of RAM for 3 different computers so to speak. Thats only 1.33GB of RAM per OS, I'm afraid it would bog down so much it would be unusable.

However, if you are seriously considering getting the 32GB Mac Pro you could pull it off I think. I'd be REALLY curious as to how that would turn out to be honest with you. I know there is A LOT of power under that hood but I don't know if there is enough to run three separate computers.