Playing movies from NAS/TimeCapsule

lukas100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Hi,
Is it possible to directly play movies from NAS or USB or TimeCapsule? I know I can use PLEX, but this requires a MAC (not possible to install PLEX server in TimeCapsule).

Maybe VLC app will change that? Hope so... Still, probably can't can't read from network storage... Will keep using my WDTV player & WDLiveDuo :( Anyon has better solution with ATV?

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi,
Is it possible to directly play movies from NAS or USB or TimeCapsule? I know I can use PLEX, but this requires a MAC (not possible to install PLEX server in TimeCapsule).

Maybe VLC app will change that? Hope so... Still, probably can't can't read from network storage... Will keep using my WDTV player & WDLiveDuo :( Anyon has better solution with ATV?
I use Infuse on my Jailbroken ATV2. Streams directly from my AirPort Extreme attached hard drive. No servers, no need to keep a computer running. It works great and they are developing an app for the new Apple TV as well.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2012
I use Infuse on my Jailbroken ATV2. Streams directly from my AirPort Extreme attached hard drive.
Thanks for mentioning this. Looks like a lot of excited people on their forum waiting for this. I will be giving it a try as soon as it's available.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
There's a couple of apps available already that will do this. Video Explorer and NAStify, you can read about both of them in the Apple TV apps section on these forums.

Reactions: Menel

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Haven't actually tried, but my TimeCapsule does show up in Video Explorer. It was free for the launch period, don't know if it still is but worth checking.

Reactions: KettyKrueger

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2012
Siri doesn't work with plex so I won't be using it. Does anyone know if Siri works with any of these other options mentioned?

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Siri doesn't work with plex so I won't be using it. Does anyone know if Siri works with any of these other options mentioned?

Not yet. So far Siri is limited to a selection of apps chosen by Apple to have access to the api for Siri.

The good news is that they are opening up access to the api for Siri to everyone sometime early next year. Sadly that does mean we have to wait until the likes of Plex get to use Siri.