Playing Movies

Discussion in 'macOS' started by surfologist87, Sep 20, 2012.

1. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I cant find a solid answer and i have done so much reading im starting to confuse everything.

I have a Macbook Pro 10.6.8, a 32gb USB flash drive, a 5.9gb .mkv video file, and a new Samsung Tv. I want to play the video on the tv, in the simplest way possible by plugging the usb into the tv.

How can i go about doing this, since the usb will only take up to a 4gb file?

Thank you in advance for the help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Depending on what Samsung model it is, it may be able to read NTFS-formatted drives, which can take file sizes larger than 4GB.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
      • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

3. toiday macrumors regular

You can also get a mini Display port to HDMI adapter to connect your MacBook Pro to your Samsung TV HDMI port. Use VLC player to play your mkv files. They sales those adapters at the Apple store and it's a little pricy. If you're looking for a 3rd party ones, do look for the one that support both Video and Audio. Some of the cheap ones only support Video.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1824ZM/A/Moshi_Mini_DisplayPort_to_HDMI_Adapter

Another option would be using HandBrake and convert your mkv files to mp4 file for iPad. You will lose some of the quality but it's still very good to me playing on a 50in 1080P TV. The mp4 file for Ipad will be much smaller in size, around 1GB per movie. If you want better quality, increase the setting so the target file is around 4GB so it would fit your USB size limit.